Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Loss of computer after attempt at backup  (Read 18541 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

Re: Loss of computer after attempt at backup
    « Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 11:52:16 AM »
    In my continuing efforts to elicit assistance on this problem i can give some more information.
      While waiting for further input from CH members i have not been sitting idle.
      As the only access to anything on the Sony at the moment is via the BIOS, i have tried changing various BIOS values to see if it would change anything. By selecting " onboard LAN" the "controller " was "disabled". I changed the value to "enabled".
      By changing the value at boot i had a new page appear. It is called "realtek boot agent" (no idea what it is).The items available for values are:
    1.network boot protocol = ROM disable
    2.boot order-rom disable
    3.show config message
    4.show message time = 3 seconds
      I have not changed any of these values as i don't know if doing so would assist or cause further problems.
      I have also gone back and changed the "onboard LAN controller back to disabled until i have input from a forum member as to any need to permanently change it to "enabled".
       Doing any of the things stated above did not alter the end result which remains as:
    1.unable to enter safe mode.
    2.always end up with black screen with flashing cursor in upper left corner of  screen.
       While i note a continued interst in this topic (the view numbers keep climbing). I am somewhat disappointed at the very limited responces.
       At the moment my efforts are to try and recover the computer. It may become necessary to move on to attempts at "data recovery" as an alternative. However i am trying to delay that until it is felt that no improvement is possible to recover the computer. truenorth

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »
    well the first problem is you cannot boot to CD. Without being able to boot to a CD, there isn't a whole lot you can do to see what's wrong and wether the data on the drive is still intact. However, you could slave the drive into another PC instead or place it in an enclosure, this would allow you to copy files from the drive if necessary.

An optical drive is current # 1 and was not having any problems with it before this so it should be still there.

But, you state you changed it here:
    thing i changed to see if it would make a difference was i changed the boot sequence from an optical drive to the primary hdd. No change. so i restored to system "defaults" saved and exited. No change.

So it would not boot from optical drives; also, the default for every PC after around 1995 or so that I've seen defaults to using the hard drive as the first boot device, so changing to the system "defaults" would not revert to the previous setting where the Optical drive was first in the sequence. I'd double-check this boot-order- in your last post you say you disabled the network boot as a boot device but nothing is said regarding the current order at the time.

It's important to note that most of the settings you have may be different from what you had before this issue; the defaults may be different from what was set. It shouldn't cause any issues though, just saying that it hasn't been "these" settings that were in use while your PC was not having issues.

Basically, the problem, from what I can gather is simply that (due to your changing the BIOS setting in boot-order as well as reverting to defaults) it may no longer be trying to boot from the optical drive at all. If the light does not come on the optical drive at all, then either your boot order is set wrong or there is something actually wrong with the drive. If the light comes on and it doesn't boot from it, then the disc is not bootable.

Additionally I might point out that the other threads in which you've stated a marked similarity to this one, you'll notice that you have received FAR FAR FAR more advice with regards to your problem then they have; in fact, the first one titled "black screen" has nothing that helps with the problem and is instead a request for more information, therefore I cannot help but wonder what your point was at all. and the second one has absolutely nothing to do with your issue at all so your statement that it is similar to your post is simply false, and really, it could be called spam if one was inclined.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 04:29:41 PM »
      BC, Thank you for coming on board--really appreciate it. To deal with the issues you have raised.
      1. While of course you could not know (nor did i state i believe) that in fact the order of the boot when i returned to default was the optical device i named in my original post. Now i am glad however that you brought up this issue. Because as a result to ensure when i replied to your statement i would do so factually. I went just now before this reply to verify. What do i see? I see 3 lines on the first items of "boot" in BIOS. The 1st is "disabled" and the next 2 in order are the 2 optical drives. So if i conclude correctly the default on the Sony is an optical drive BUT is it possible that indeed it is DISABLED. If so this would certainly explain why Allen direction re the creation and use of the "recovery disk he assisted me to make would not work. Before i again try that disk i would appreciate your opinion if indeed the presence of the "disabled as the lead line in the "Boot" of bios has disabled my optical drive?
      2. As to the presence of "lights" i was not watching for that as the computer is not readily viewable from where it is located. However if you suggest i try the "restore" disk again i will watch for lights.
      3.On your final point without going into a long discourse. Suffice to say that the post to which you refer in the "Picasa" posting had no business being in that thread. How it got there i have no idea. The subject has been addressed directly with "Patio" by PM after it was brought to my attention. I did make it in the "Black screen" post wherein i was truly only wishing the author more success than i was having with what  appeared to be a very similar situation. I have also PM'd the CH forums moderator after i became aware of the issue and requested the post in Picasa be removed.
        It was my intention in the Picasa post to try to help the originator which i am sure as you read it you will see a post initiated by me that does in fact try to do that.
        I would not wish to categorize the help i have received on that post (my current Sony problem) or any other seeking of assistance as being not appreciated. I think that without exception it will be noted if anyone cares to review the requests for help i have made in the past they all acknowledge and demonstrate an appreciation for whatever help is proffered. It should also be stated that my over 1200 posts do represent my occasional request for assistance however i would argue that proportionally the efforts within those posts wherein i have extended my best efforts to others with assistance or guidance far outweighs my own requests for help. And in fact my requests for help are NOT countless as alledged. They have been relatively few. Not to diminish the appreciation i have for those that did try to help me. I believe that my participation has been consistently in the spirit of what i believe is the credo of the CH forums. I do not seek to malign others. I believe that the vast majority of CH members are motivated by a desire to help others. I try to constantly (in spite of my acknowledged diminished experience and knowledge compared to some other members) to offer the best i can. Thanks again for your assistance and i await your suggestion as to my next step.truenorth

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 04:54:40 PM »
      I'm not sure  regarding the "disabled" boot device option, since I am not familar with a BIOS that presents the boot-sequence in that way, but I'd suggest enabling it and seeing what happens then.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 04:59:04 PM »
        BC, Roger,wilco--will advise--too tired right now will try tomorrow when I'm fresh. Plus i can live in hope in the meantime.truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 08:51:25 AM »
          BC & others, I have gone into my  bios on the Sony and under "boot" the item which is #1 in the sequence is "ATAPI CD-ROM (which is the default). If i click on that it brings up a 3 item list which is:
          1,Disabled
          2.Sony DVD rw
          3.pioneer DVD rom
            It is #3 which is the default
             I tried both the default (pioneer) and then changed the boot sequence to make the Sony DVD #1. In both cases the results were the same as all previous results.
            Now to address the lights issue. There is no light to observe on the Pioneer. Not because it doesn't light there is NO light available. However when the recovery disc is in the drive i can hear it spin up and the drawer opens and closes on command. On the Sony DVD it does light and spin at boot. Still on the topic of lights initially the two orange lights just above the on/off manual switch on the front of the tower do initially both come on. Then it changes to one orange. Then when it transitions to the black page with the flashing cursor no orange lights are illuminated.
            I really do not know what i am doing nor what is being presented with the following so please bear with me. It occurs to me what i have that i believe is the "recovery" disc i created under Allen's assistance may in fact not be a recovery disc.
            When i take that disc and put it in another computer (this Compaq) An icon appears which is a picture of a disc with the letters ISO overtop and the small letters "rc " below the image. It is only 591KB which is the reason for my suspicion. When i click on the icon it brings up a window that list 3 choices.
          1.convert to ISO
          2.burn disc
          3.cancel
            Have i put my finger on something here. I am in over my depth at this point as to what i am seeing re the disc. truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 08:54:06 AM »
          You need to use a .iso burning utility to burn an .iso image.
          http://download.cnet.com/Free-Easy-CD-DVD-Burner/3000-2646_4-10627009.html

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 09:13:11 AM »
            Allen, My installed and favorite burning program is one recommended on the CH forums. CD burner XP. It appears to have an ISO burning function (which up to now i have never used). I have also never burned an ISO image. So when i was trying to download and install to a CD from your earlier instructions should i have done something specific to create something other than whatever it is i now have? Am i correct that what i do have on the current disc is not what i should have? How do i do what you want me to do to create the "recovery" CD from the link you have provided?truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 09:15:55 AM »
            You just need to download the .iso image and then use any software that can burn .iso images (if it's an integrated "burning program" you already have, the module should say "burn image" or something similar). There are free utilities dedicated to burning .iso images such as the one I linked to in my previous post. This really isn't complicated.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 09:20:04 AM »
            I believe the option needed in CDBurnerXPro is "create bootable CD/DVD...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 09:22:41 AM »
              I guess i am not expressing myself adequately. I have "something" on a CD at the moment. If i have to take what is on that disc and burn an ISO image--where do i burn it to? At some point it has to be on something (probably a CD) that i can put in the Sony optical drive. It will not be of any use if it is something on this computer (the Compaq). Or do i need to go back to your original recovery link and do it differently from that point. thanks again for you help,greatly appreciated.truenorth

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 09:25:13 AM »
              And when its burned, it should NOT have an "ISO" file on the disc.

When you start CDBurnerXP It gives you the following menu choices:

Data Disc, Audio Disc, Burn ISO Image, Copy Disc, Erase Disc

You want to burn an ISO image, so that would be the obvious choice here.

Then you simply use the "Browse" button In the "Burn ISO Options" tab to select the Recovery console iso file you downloaded.

BTW, a final note, the disc is not really a "recovery" disc, it simply allows you to access the recovery console to verify that your windows install on your hard drive is present and that you can view files on the drive. While your there you can of course run several commands that might help with the boot issues, such as "FIXBOOT", "FIXMBR" and "chkdsk /r" (the last one may take some time).

Except, the ISO is bootable already :P

I guess i am not expressing myself adequately. I have "something" on a CD at the moment. If i have to take what is on that disc and burn an ISO image--where do i burn it to? At some point it has to be on something (probably a CD) that i can put in the Sony optical drive. It will not be of any use if it is something on this computer (the Compaq). Or do i need to go back to your original recovery link and do it differently from that point. thanks again for you help,greatly appreciated.truenorth

Copy the ISO file from the disc. to a hard disc.

Use CDBurnerXP to burn it to a fresh disc. (or, the one your using if it happens to be an RW)

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 09:25:32 AM »
              You need to download an .iso image to your hard drive. You then open your burning program, point it to that .iso image, and tell it to burn it to a disc.
              Here are step by step instructions: http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 09:26:39 AM »
              Typically the option is: burn image (or image file) to disc

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 09:33:44 AM »
                Gentlemen, I feel that i am indeed very privileged to have such great expertise trying to help me. Thank you all. As BC has stated the options are as he relates. I do not see the option that Patio has mentioned. So if i understand correctly i should go back to Allen's original link download the file to a known location on this computer (Compaq) and then locate it and using cdburner xp with the choice being "burn an ISO image"--burn that to a CD and that will be the CD to place in the Sony optical drive as the recovery disc. Correct? truenorth