Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Application cannot be executed  (Read 5849 times)

cyncity

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Application cannot be executed
    « on: February 14, 2010, 07:52:21 PM »
    Hi,

I know there are several other threads for this problem, but I'm a beginner and would like to be walked through the process.

When i turn on the computer, everything is normal but then a green shield with a check mark in it pops up with a Windows security alert.

Security warning popups keep showing up saying "Application cannot be executed the file **-there are multiple files-*** is infected. do you want to activate your antivirus software now?" If I click no, it pops up repeatedly with a different infected file.

A box with a red bar at the top titled 'Antivirus Software Alert" says "INFILTRATION ALERT you computer is being attacked by an internet virus. It could be a password stealing attack, a Trojan - dropper or similar.
    DETAILS Attack from: 200.153.146.85, port 65185.
    Attacked Port: 17655
    Threat: Win32/Nuqel.E
    Do you want to block this attack: -lists two clickable options YES or NO-"

Now a pop up with the same red bar says "ATTENTION! SPYWARE ALERT. Vulnerabilities found. Your computer is infected by spyware - 34 Serious threats found have been found while scanning your files and registry. it is strongly recommended that you disinfect your computer and activate you realtime secure protection against future intrusions.

It then lists a hyperlink that says "Why do you need realtime spyware protection?"

Underneath it says "Upgrade to full version of antivirus software to clean your computer and prevent new security and privacy attacks. you will be able to download daily updates and get online protection against Internet attacks, it lists two options but the window just disappeared before i could copy it down" Earlier, while trying to solve this problem i found a woman who had the exact same problem, she had the exact pop up, also with 34 serious threats. Earlier my computer performed a scan on it's own using whatever program has that green shield as it's icon. I found this odd because I have Norton. Norton says my PC Security, Identity Protection and PC Tuneup are protected but my Backup section is At Risk! When I click it, it asks me to buy more storage, I don't know if this is part of the virus or if this is legitimately from Norton

usually when i turn on my computer, Yahoo Messenger automatically signs me in. I have internet connection but Yahoo Messenger has trouble signing me in.

Please help me, I'm too scared to touch anything.

exchief21

Starter

Re: Application cannot be executed
      « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 12:56:37 PM »
      I had the same exact problem today 02/15/10. I tried installing "Malawarebytes" software to fix the problem but it would not let me run the program. i could not get into "add and remove program" in the control panel or let me acess "System Restore". What I needed to do was to get into "SafeMode" (F8) from startup on my PC. Once I got into safemode I was asked if I wanted to go into "System Restore" which I selected. I picked a restore date prior to the problem and this fixed the problem. Give this a try it worked for me and i am a novice. I will download the 'Malawarebytes" (freeware) and run this as preventive along with "Spybot". Good luck

cyncity

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 03:07:03 PM »
        exchief21, i just did a system restore. everything seems to be working fine.  :D Thank you so much!  Norton 360 just automatically opened a window , yahoo messenger can now sign in. One thing I'm worried about is that norton has a window saying
        "One Click Support. Step-by-Step Solution.
        Error: "3035,2" after you install Norton 360 Version 3.0
        Step 1 RUN THE FIX TOOL
        1. Run a tool to fix issues with Definition Updates
                                    -button that says RUN IT NOW-
        2. If the problem persists, go to step 2
        Step 2 RUN LIVE UPDATE
        1. Start Norton 360
        2. On the bottom left corner of the window, click Run LiveUpdate
        3.  When LiveUpdate finishes installing all the updates, click Close
            If you see any error message when you run LiveUpdate, cancel the error message and run LiveUpdate once again
        4. Exit all the programs and restart the computer"

Is this legitimate? Should i do what it says

exchief21

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 07:41:59 AM »
          If your using Norton, I would contact them and ask if this is a true fix. You may be able to find it on the Norton website Or call.
          I am not running Norton.

exchief21

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 09:09:21 AM »
            I think it is legitimate after reading Norton website. see link below from norton.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090220080848EN

cyncity

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 09:15:48 PM »
              thank you very much! you've been a real lifesaver :D

exchief21

Starter

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 09:19:49 PM »
                No problem.

cyncity

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 06:02:22 PM »
                  Well, its been about a week and now I'm running into some problems. A lot of my programs won't open, I'll click on the start button and all the programs have lost their icons, when i click them a window pops up saying "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel. I went into control panel to do it but I have no idea what any of these extensions are for. Are you having this problem?