Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Registry can not load the hive.  (Read 12894 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Registry can not load the hive.
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2010, 10:44:57 PM »
Ive serached for my docs and pictures and they are GONE !!!!!

How did you search? random clicking through folder windows, or did you actually use the search tools that windows provides? if so, what criteria did you specify?

Allow me to re-iterate: renaming two registry files will NOT delete an entire folder tree.

What happened was that replacing the registry files meant that the HKEY_USERS hive now contained different users the it did- possibly with different user names. Either way, the point is, they had different "My Documents" folders.

Your current Account is using a empty My Documents folder created when you rebooted.

Your previous "my documents" folder is still sitting in C:\Documents And Settings\<username>.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

bigal50

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2010, 11:28:02 PM »
    Ok my apologies. I was  just a littel freaked out......but I found a folders with all my data. Pics, doc, Internet favorites, music etc.   So how do I get everything back in place the way it was.

When I booted I got a message that read:

Hpqthb08.exe .netframework intialization error
    please set registry key HKLM\software\microsoft\.netframe\installroot to point to the .net framework install locator

Does this have something to do with the issues Im am having with the data not being seeing in the right places.

Again, sorry for my rude behavior. I was just a little freak out an mad at my self for not doing back ups. If I get all this fixed I am going to back up everything ASAP!!!!!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #32 on: March 01, 2010, 05:35:58 AM »
    Your data is still there. The registry replacement you made CANNOT delete user data files, only applications.

bigal50

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2010, 02:40:04 PM »
      Ok seems everything is there but is it possible to get things back the way they were or am i just going  drag and drop things to the new user ???????

Right now I am saving whatever I can on to my usb drives for now.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #34 on: March 01, 2010, 02:43:09 PM »
      I told you right off the bat I could help get you back up and running but all previously installed apps would need to be reinstalled. Nothing has changed.

bigal50

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 12:11:52 AM »
        Thanks for you help, Allan !!!!!   I will figure it out and install my applications.

But now when I boot my pc I get this message that reads:

Hpqthb08.exe .netframework intialization error
        please set registry key HKLM\software\microsoft\.netframe\installroot to point to the .net framework install locator.

Whats that all about.???

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 05:47:08 AM »
        Start by reinstalling two things:
        1) the latest .net framework software and
        2) the driver for your HP printer

bigal50

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 12:03:41 AM »
          Sounds good. But where to i get  this .net frame software.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 12:13:17 AM »
          Sounds good. But where to i get  this .net frame software.

.NET framework.

From what I can tell hpqthb08 looks like it uses a relatively early version of the .NET framework: (1.1) Note that .NET framework versions are not backwards compatible- you can't  install Version 3.5 and have a program compiled against the 1.1 runtime work.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

You can find other versions there, as well.

However- all that being said- the "hpqthb08" program is really more or less part of the cruft that HP plops on all their machines. you can remove it without any ill effects, and you will not get the message at startup, by using MSConfig:

Start->Run, type msconfig and enter.

On the "startup" tab, unselect the item that starts the program- it should have hpqthb08 somewhere in the line.

Apply, Exit, and restart your PC.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 05:38:35 AM »
          With all due respect to BC, please do NOT use msconfig to permanently alter startup items. Instead, you can download a simple utility like Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel and use that to manage startup apps. Simply uncheck the offending process. http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 04:38:46 PM »
          With all due respect to BC, please do NOT use msconfig to permanently alter startup items. Instead, you can download a simple utility like Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel and use that to manage startup apps. Simply uncheck the offending process. http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Autoruns is bettar.

But neither one is available by default on windows... at the time I was trying to avoid another 3 pages trying to explain how to unzip a file or something.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 04:39:47 PM »
          Autoruns is bettar.

But neither one is available by default on windows... at the time I was trying to avoid another 3 pages trying to explain how to unzip a file or something.
          Ahh. Figured you had a reason :)
          And while I agree utilities such as Autoruns are better for you and me, Startup Control Panel is nice and simple for the "average user" ;)  But if the OP is good with Autoruns then that's great.

bigal50

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2010, 10:40:21 PM »
            Ok I did the Start/run/msconfig -thing and unchecked the hpqthbo8.exe thing and now i dont see see the .netframe error mesages. Cool, Thanks.

But now I'm having problems connecting to certan websites.  Some tell me I need Active-X?!
            Others time i get a message the says my security setting dont allow me to view this sight.
            Other time i click on a link and an internet explorer window opens and nothing loads. the screen stays white. Also everytime I try to save a website as a favorite i get a message the read something like Cant not save the file " Website name" catastropic failure.

Im sure all this has to to with my system crashing a few weeks ago when I had to recover by using the copy sytem32/ commads ( excuse me for not remebering the exact commands. but maybe like all my applicationsthat that i had to relaod my internet options have to be reset ??????

Thanks in advance. You gave have been great......