Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My new external hard drive, with FAT32...  (Read 2421 times)

Drunkenmonkey04

Topic Starter

My new external hard drive, with FAT32...
    « on: February 28, 2010, 09:49:08 AM »
    Okay, so I looked around on the forum and couldn't really find an answer to my question, so here goes.
    I got an external hard drive this Christmas, and have not had any use of it, until recently. It just so happens that it has FAT32 as format, and restricts larger files, which is really annoying seeing as I would like to move games most of the time, and they are way bigger than the restriction, 2 Gb I think it is.
    So besides the fact that I am a huge retard for not looking into this earlier, any help would be appreciated.

The question: Is there any way to reformat, to another system that allows bigger files, and if so, how?

Azzaboi

Apprentice
    • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: My new external hard drive, with FAT32...
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:07:13 AM »
    FAT32 will allow a maximum of 4GB.

FAT16 volumes larger than 2GB are not accessible from computers running Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Windows 98, Windows 95, or MS-DOS. The size limit for FAT16 volumes in these operating systems is 2 GB.

If your harddrive is larger than these, it would normally use NTFS format.

Move your data you wish to keep off the hard drive to another as formatting will lose all data.

Depending on your Operating System, go to 'My Computer', right-click the hard drive and click format. Select NTFS format. Allocation Unit Size will normally be 4096 for that. Untick 'Quick Format' if selected and then format and wait.
    Aaron's Game Zone
    The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

Drunkenmonkey04

Topic Starter

Re: My new external hard drive, with FAT32...
      « Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 10:15:20 AM »
      Alright, thank you :D