Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help  (Read 19976 times)

edgeracer87

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: help
    « Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 10:15:21 AM »
    I tryed that and it says it is not recognized as an internal or external command
    operable program, or batch file

edgeracer87

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 10:25:04 AM »
      I opened command promp, and entered it in but it says "c:\docume~1\me"

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 10:29:47 AM »
      You can get back to the root of c: drive by typing: cd\ (press enter)

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 10:31:11 AM »
      Okay, I just read this whole thread for the first time. Can you boot to your XP CD at this point? What exactly is going on?

edgeracer87

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 11:00:06 AM »
        When I start up my computer it shows the IBM page press F1 for setup or F12 to boot
        then it goes to a operating system not found press f1 to restart or continue boot sequence, but that message keeps repeating itself. So I restarted and tried booting from the hard drive, but that sends me to a screen that says ntldr missing press cntrl alt delete to restart and then goes back to that page. So then I have to hit F12 to boot from the cd rom drive which I put the windows xp cd in that came with the computer to try and boot from that and that will return me back to the operating system not found, press F-1 to continue boot sequence.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 11:07:47 AM »
        You are not booting to the cd. As soon as you see the message "Press F1 for Setup" press F1. That will take you to bios. Change the boot order so the cd is the first device. Save the change and reboot to your XP CD.

edgeracer87

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 11:22:24 AM »
          Okay thanks for telling me, I could not figure out how to change the boot order, so I want the cd to be first and then the hard drive? Or do I want the hard drive last? Thanks

EEVIAC

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 11:26:55 AM »
          He doesn't know how to change the boot order.  We've already been through all that, that's why I had him make a floppy disk.  The floppy drive is probably set to boot before the hard drive so this may work.

Don't use COMMAND

Type CMD into the RUN box instead, then type the exact command that I specified.

edgeracer87

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 11:34:12 AM »
            I type in cmd and it brings up a black screen that says C:\Documents and Settings\Me> so I type in attrib -h -r -s c:\ntldr and it comes back as C:\Documents and Settings\Me>

EEVIAC

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 11:36:25 AM »
            Right

Now go to the root of the C drive like I said, and ntldr will be visible, and you can copy and paste it, to a floppy disk..

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 11:37:56 AM »
            Okay thanks for telling me, I could not figure out how to change the boot order, so I want the cd to be first and then the hard drive? Or do I want the hard drive last? Thanks

I have confidence you can follow instructions. Put the cd as your first boot device then the floppy and then the hd

edgeracer87

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 11:39:19 AM »
              So I type in C:\ in the black box? or do I click on my computer and the c: drive?

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 11:40:13 AM »
              Forget about that for now - just see if you can change the bios boot order.

EEVIAC

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 11:45:56 AM »
              So I type in C:\ in the black box? or do I click on my computer and the c: drive?

Just close that black windows now and use the mouse..

Click START>MY COMPUTER>open up the C drive by double clicking and look closely at the list for ntldr.  Copy and paste it to the floppy disk

edgeracer87

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 12:04:27 PM »
                I'm not stupid but I found it. Sorry I'm not as computer literate as you. I copied the file to the floppy, and will try it as soon as I go home for lunch. thank you