Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What should I get for my computer?  (Read 9921 times)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: What should I get for my computer?
    « Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 02:10:44 AM »
    Well in that case, maybe could you give word to them that I could use their expertise?
    Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

EEVIAC

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 02:25:23 AM »
    It's important to note that all CPU's come with a heat sink, fan, and thermal grease

:P    good point

I only allocated about 12 dollars for those items anyway, it will go towards shipping and tax instead, if the OP wants the build to fly

No offense taken 

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 02:42:09 AM »
      Yeah, I hope these guys can find me the abosolute best for my budget. Cause with the economy I really cant afford much but I need this computer.

While we're on it. If I get windows 7, will I be able to take a folder, and password protect it?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 02:57:31 AM »
      Well, Calum isn't an active forum member- at least, not here anymore, for a number of reasons- Patio will probably see this thread quite soon after he logs back on tomorrow, too.

While we're on it. If I get windows 7, will I be able to take a folder, and password protect it?

Well, sort of but not the way you probably mean.

What you can do is encrypt the folder using the Encrypting File System NTFS features; (you could do this with XP Pro and Vista too, actually) what this basically does is use your unique User ID to encrypt your file; you can treat the file as you would any other- once it is encrypted, it will appear a shade of green in your explorer windows, but aside from that there is absolutely no indication it is encrypted.

If another user tries to access the file, however, they will get an access denied message, since windows will try to decrypt the file using their userID as a "password" but it will fail.

The biggest issue with using the EFS is that if your OS get's corrupted and you have to reinstall, you lose access to all your encrypted files. This is why it's important to make something called a "recovery agent disk" (I forget the exact wording) which will allow you to recover the data from encrypted files.

Additionally, even if a person cannot read the file they can still move it (as long as it's to another NTFS partition) and even delete the file, so it might not be quite the benefit you want. If you wanted to, however, you could combine both the File encryption and NTFS folder permissions to make it so nobody else can delete or even modify the files inside at all- and even deny access to see the files.

There is still an additional concern, though. When most people say they want to password protect a folder, they really mean that whenever you try to open the folder it asks for a password- regardless of the user- so if somebody got into your account, or you forgot to log-off, or whatever, they could still access the files.

You can work around this by simply pressing Windows-Key+L whenever you step away from the keyboard, I suppose.

Anyway, there are ways to sort-of get what you want but you will probably need a third party program to get exactly what you are after.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 03:16:05 AM »
        Kay nevermind. I just want a simple simple *censored* thing.

If I have a folder, the simple option to make it password protected.

If I double click it, it pops a screen asking for a password, I fail the password, I dont get in. I get it right, I'm in. That simple.

Dont understand why I have to jump through hoops for that.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 03:22:30 AM »
        Kay nevermind. I just want a simple simple *censored* thing.

If I have a folder, the simple option to make it password protected.

If I double click it, it pops a screen asking for a password, I fail the password, I dont get in. I get it right, I'm in. That simple.

Dont understand why I have to jump through hoops for that.

Trust me...

anything that seems simple to the user is a major pain the but for a programmer(s).

Anything you find easy to use in a application probably took ages to program; anything that seems like a pain in the *censored* was probably easy to create (or relatively easy to create compared to what would be easy to use).

In this case, it was probably  Microsoft preventing lawsuits; if MS added that ability to the OS they would be inviting legal action from all the software companies that have solutions that do what your after. It's kind of a hairy legal thing, given Microsoft's relative dominance in the OS market, they can't just add features like that without some company saying they took advantage of their monopoly, even if the added feature is something that their users really want. It's kind of a shame, really.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 08:56:31 AM »
          Thats just retarded. -.-

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 08:11:46 PM »
            So I think I'm going to use what EE gave me.

It seems Patio is busy and I dont want to take up his time.

I just need to be able to play games like Face of Mankind and Halo without lag. I need good enough speed while I'm playing a game.

It's hard to gear up and get to the line to defend your colony if the battle is already over when you vort to it.

I know the lag isn't my actual internet connection/networking. They're fine, it's because my computer just isn't game suitable and has pretty *censored* specs for games. Thats why I'm getting this new one so I can play games and make videos/machinima off it.

So, if I use what EE gave me for specs? I should be able to play my games and make videos off it without having to complain that my programs went non-responsive, or that it's taking forever to load, or that simply my computer cant open it cause it's too *censored* right?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 08:33:24 PM »
            Free advice department.
            Here's a simple tip for improving the speed of your computer. Let's say you have a pretty big hard drive. Likely you'll want to put a lot of videos on that hard drive. And lots of different kinds of programs you like.
            Well there's nothing wrong with that. But IF  speed is important to you for one of your games here's something you can try. You divide your disk drive up into two or more partitions. One partition for some data that you don't use very often but want to have available when you need it. The other two partitions would be for operating systems. If the game you like works best in XP, then do an installation of XP on the smaller partition. Now this may seem counterintuitive, and sometimes it turns out to be the wrong thing to do. But sometimes it works great. The idea is if you have a minimal installation and you have just one program installed with its own data files then disk fragmentation becomes much less of an issue. And when you do defragment it will defragment much quicker on a small partition. But there is a drawback to this, although the petition this small, relatively speaking, it has to have a lot of unused space on it. That's what makes things faster. Data writes tend to be faster on a partition that is not heavily populated. Good place to start for Windows XP would be a partition of about 15 GB more or less. With just one program installed there should be lots of free space.
            So you end up with a dual boot system. One for your Spartan fast gaming system, and the other for your general programming and media adventures.
            Just a suggestion. Works for me.
            Hope you understand how this works.

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 08:42:35 PM »
              Thanks, when I get my computer I might just do that.

In any case, I think I might have him install Windows XP on it, because Windows 7 has too many bugs for me and I dont really want it, some of the games I play will have trouble with it.

If not Windows XP, Windows Vista. Just not 7. I'm used to XP anyway.

EEVIAC

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 10:25:12 PM »
              In any case, I think I might have him install Windows XP on it,

If you already have a retial copy of Windows XP that you prefer to install on it, let me know, so then we can use that extra 120 (that was going toward Win7 Premium) and put it towards a motherboard that supports more recent CPU technology such as LGA 1156.  As I said before, I saw another board for not much more that supports either i5 or i7.  If you could get that board and get either the i5 or i7, later if you upgrade your video card to something high-end, that LGA 775 (dual core) processor will not be there to "bottleneck" the video card.  Although, there's a chance you would have to upgrade the power supply, if you got a video card that draws a LOT of power...

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 11:53:32 PM »
                Well I'm not sure if I still have my Win XP. I'll have to look for it. It's probably in a box of my computer *censored*.

EEVIAC

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 11:56:02 PM »
                Then don't order the mboard or cpu until you know you have the XP installation.  When you confirm you have it, then I'll recommend a board and cpu, more up-to-date, that fits into your budget..

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 12:05:53 AM »
                  I dont have it...

We must of sent it to my dad, and I'm not going to get it.

EEVIAC

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 12:36:25 AM »
                  I dont have it...

We must of sent it to my dad, and I'm not going to get it.

:P     oh, well