Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What should I get for my computer?  (Read 9920 times)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: What should I get for my computer?
    « Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 12:38:41 AM »
    Yeah, so I should be able to get it from the guy whos going to build it for us. He can help.
    Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

EEVIAC

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 12:50:41 AM »
    You mean he has an unused retail copy of XP?  How much is he charging your for it?

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 01:15:03 AM »
      Yeah, and probably free. I'll have to ask him.

EEVIAC

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 01:48:00 AM »
      Yeah, and probably free.

Use THIS motherboard instead.

And this CPU

If you don't purchase the 120-dollar Win7 and you get XP for free you can afford these.  This means you have an extra 120

There a 30 dollar difference between the other board and the one I just suggested, and a 100 dollar difference between the dual-core CPU I suggested before, and the one I suggested just now..   TOTAL:  130         Only a ten dollar difference in total cost.

If you go with this setup, as I said before, when/if you upgrade your vid. card, and I'm sure you will, there will be less of a bottleneck, as compared to using an LGA 775 CPU..

This board has onboard vga as well, so if your card fails for some reason, you can use the onboard video until you get a new card.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 01:55:34 AM »
      There have been lots of good suggestions here. But what it comes down to is just the question of what you can afford and what you really want. What stuff do you already have?

There are two critical components you need that are not easy to upgrade at a low cost. That would be the motherboard and the video graphics adapter. But to get yourself started, you might opt for a good quality motherboard was just the integrated graphics chip. That would get you up and going, and you can get a better graphics card later.

Same idea with the CPU and the memory. Just yet and you can afford now and upgrade later. It's the motherboard that's going to be a hard choice. You need to get the best possible motherboard you can for the price. Do you have an old power supply that's working good? It probably will work well until you put in more memory and a better graphics card. So that would be another area where you could skim for now and upgrade later.

As for the case, what you really want? A really good-looking case? Or computer that performs well? The neatest, coolest, wild  eye-catching case you can get will not do a thing to the performance of the computer. The case does everything it does even when a computer is off. So unless the appearance is important to you, don't think about the case.

Now if you don't have much in the way of parts on hand, think about this idea. Try to shop around and see if you can find a good used computer from a vendor you can trust. And I don't mean just on eBay. There are refurbished computers available through some of the top vendors and these come with limited warranties. These refurbished computers give you the best possible performance and price ratio you can expect. Some of the refurbished computers available are very hard to expand or build on, but check the specs out very carefully and you might find one that would fit your needs.

Forgot to mention. The good refurbished PCs come with a OEM load of Windows  that is OK with Microsoft.  That saves you some money.

Example:    HP Pavilion p6240f Desktop PC - NO monitor, just inside your price range. Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5GHz Processor / 8GB RAM / 750GB Hard Drive / DVD±R/RW / Intel GMA X4500 / 802.11N / DVI-D / Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 02:03:38 AM »
        No, I need that other 120 for a headset and external HDD.

@ Geek.

All I want is a computer that I can play games with multiple programs up without lag and to be able to run video recording and editing software.

Period.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 02:35:32 AM »
        All I want is a computer that I can play games with multiple programs up without lag and to be able to run video recording and editing software.

The  HP Pavilion p6240f Desktop PC does all of that. It comes with windows 7 54 bit and has a high performance CPU and lots of memory. As for the graphics, it is OK. Comes with a good Intel chip.
        In the USA this reborn HP is $549 with free shipping.

IMO the better CPU is more important that the  Graphics.

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 02:40:16 AM »
          Yeah, but I think I'm just going to go with what EE said.

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 02:38:54 PM »
            BTW, I have a Dell monitor.

It should be able to work with the other 2 computers right?