Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Yahoo! Messenger will not install  (Read 3138 times)

mewgirl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    Yahoo! Messenger will not install
    « on: March 08, 2010, 11:27:09 PM »
    On a new install of Windows XP Home, I copied the program files folder for Yahoo! Messenger from the previous Windows, which came from the same CD.  The program did not work this way, and downloading the install file gives me errors.  The first error message I get from the Yahoo! installer is "Incorrect command line parameters".  The title of the dialog box is Windows Installer.  (I have not had any trouble installing any other programs).  The installer, however, keeps working, and gets a second error message, which says in the dialog box,
    c:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe"
    .  There are quotes on one side of this file location but not the other.  With "Show hidden files" and "Show protected operating system files" enabled, I cannot find a PROGRA~! folder.  Using run to find this folder opens the real program files folder instead.  I deleted the Program Files > Yahoo! folder, which did not work.  The attempted install added entries to the add/remove, but they merely "delete[d] from list" when I tried to uninstall.  I then deleted the registry keys related to Yahoo! Messenger under HKCR (this was a long list of entries starting with 'Y', as verified by websites, and .yps and .ymg, and each and every one of them returned on the attempted reinstall after this, so I made no mistakes here), HKCU > Software > Yahoo, and HKLM > Software > Yahoo, restarted, and tried to install tyhe program again.  The same error still happened.

It should also be noted that the file that runs Yahoo! Messenger is ypager.exe, not YahooMessenger.exe...   this was true in all previous versions, I assume it is true in the most recent version as well.

Edit: I have not deleted any keys since the last install attempt.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Yahoo! Messenger will not install
    « Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 08:10:02 AM »
    Since this is a new install of Windows XP Home, the best option may be to reinstall Windows.  I'm assuming this would be a lot less hassle now than it would if you had been using the computer for months after that installation of Windows XP Home. 

Regarding a solution without reinstalling Windows XP Home, do you have a restore point prior to trying to install Yahoo! Messenger from the downloaded install files?

On a new install of Windows XP Home, I copied the program files folder for Yahoo! Messenger from the previous Windows, which came from the same CD.  The program did not work this way ...
    Of course, it wouldn't work that way.  How could it?  That approach does not update Windows registry.