Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: black sceen with: media failure, check cable/ operating system not found.  (Read 4802 times)

kapkap

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi all experts, im so frustrated rite now n really need a help! (i did tried 2 search 4 the problem in the forum but coudnt find any thing similar).

notebook model: Intel Dell mini inspriron 910.

On sunday nite, it worked just totally normal at first, then after i put it in standby for about 2 hours, i found it already turned off by itself. So i tried to turn it on but it didnt start up like normal, all i got was a black screen showing:

"Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
    Copyright (c) 1997-2002 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RT8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1,08 (080408)
    PXE-E61: media test failure, check cable
    PXE-MOF: exiting PXE ROM.
    Operating system not found."

As this mini dell doesnt have a cd rom so i bought an external optical drive n tried 2 re-instal the operating system cd. but when the windows set up got to the step of choosing the item to set up windows xp on, there was a box show:

" 8057 MB disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi
    <set up cannot access this disk.>

and when i hit enter, it came up another screen say :

Aproblem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you.ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check to be sure u have adequate disk space....(and some more message)

So i thought it might help if i plug in an external hdd n choose to set up windows xp on the hdd. but after the set up finish, it reboot the conputer , i thought it wud work again but actually the windows xp didnt start, n it keep repeating the windows set up over n over again.

So that is my problem, i have no idea what happened. i wud very appreciate your help!!

thanks all! (n sorry 4 my english!)

Atari7800

what kind of external hdd are you using?  If it's a usb one, i dont think you can run an OS off of it.  this sounds like a bad hdd

Veltas

Intermediate

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    what kind of external hdd are you using?  If it's a usb one, i dont think you can run an OS off of it.  this sounds like a bad hdd

I agree, where did you leave it?  If it was dropped or it overheated that could have damaged it.

If you don't want to open it up yourself you'll have to get it fixed, because it sounds to me like your netbook has cashed in its last checks.

kapkap

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thanks guys!

I dropped it twice lol but that were long ago n it was still fineafter that, but before this damage, there was nothing special happen though.
      So u guys rekon it has a bad hdd n so how do i got it replaced? is there any where i can buy another hdd? like in the computer shop?

Veltas

Intermediate

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      Looking at your model I realise something now I didn't earlier, your netbook is 100% without HDD!

It uses an SSD (a Solid State Drive).  In particular it needs to be a mini PCI-e 8GB+ SDD.  You need 8GB or more because Windows just won't run well at all without it.  Do a search on Amazon or Google Shopping.  Unfortunately it will cost £40-50 ($60-80).

I reckon it's broken due to the frailty of these things, when you get a new one you'll have to be very careful installing it.

Dell Documentation Info on SSD
      YouTube video showing how to install an SDD to your laptop (excuse the accent)