Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard Virus?  (Read 2317 times)

Tim Buick

Motherboard Virus?
« on: July 07, 2005, 02:57:23 AM »
Windows 98SE

My computer was working fine until I installed the Talktalk speedtouch broadband modem. Got modem installed and connected to internet, launched IE and typed in Google.com then screen switched off and PC went into a kind of standby mode. After a while pressing ctrl+alt+del, I just had to switch it off at the plug (since no buttons on the front of the PC were working).

Since then, I've eliminated that it could be a software, hard drive, graphics card or RAM problem (they all work in another PC of mine). Is there any kind of virus that may have penetrated the motherboard (I did have AVG7 and Zone Alarm running)? Or could it have been damaged by the Speedtouch modem?

Thanks for your help on this very confusing problem!
Tim

Raptor

Re: Motherboard Virus?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 06:11:57 AM »
Have you tried to reset the BIOS?

Most, if not all, viruses do not harm anything other than files on the Hard Disk Drive.

Tim Buick

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 03:23:36 AM »
Thats the problem, when I switch on it doesn't give me a chance to change BIOS settings. All that happens is the power comes on, and the hard drive works for a bit, then nothing at all (no response from keyboard either). Could my processor be damaged?

Cheers!

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 03:27:19 AM »
Unplug the usb speedtouch modem.......does it boot now!

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 07:06:31 AM »
Thats the problem, when I switch on it doesn't give me a chance to change BIOS settings. All that happens is the power comes on, and the hard drive works for a bit, then nothing at all (no response from keyboard either). Could my processor be damaged?

Cheers!

You can reset the BIOS hardwise wise. Refer to mainboard documentation.