Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RAM problems  (Read 3417 times)

highwaychilli

Topic Starter

Starter

RAM problems
    « on: March 28, 2010, 07:37:29 PM »
    My laptop is using 1.30GB out of 3GB of RAM with nothing running. Right now I'm only running MSN and Internet Explorer, and it's using 1.60GB. I don't know much about RAM, but this doesn't seem right. I use Windows Vista, don't know if that's what it uses. (Keep in mind my computer is crashing a lot, and I want to find out if this has something to do with it).

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: RAM problems
    « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 08:39:15 PM »
    Vista handles RAM differently than OS's in years past...

what are your issues ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

highwaychilli

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 08:47:42 PM »
      My laptop is very slow in general. For example, my winamp is causing me trouble. I have to try to open it several time, because it crashes. Sometimes it tells me it crashed, but sometimes it doesn't. It just doesn't open. And these are the worst cases because the program doesn't run on applications but continues to run on processes, using 100% of the CPU (I have to close it with the task manager). Other than those little things, another major problem is that the computer is overheating a LOT (overheating meaning to the point that it shuts off). I don't know if my room is too hot, but this didn't use to happen so often.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:23:13 AM »
      the program doesn't run on applications but continues to run on processes, using 100% of the CPU
      what program?

mroilfield

Mentor
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 08:56:47 AM »
      My laptop is very slow in general. For example, my winamp is causing me trouble. I have to try to open it several time, because it crashes. Sometimes it tells me it crashed, but sometimes it doesn't. It just doesn't open. And these are the worst cases because the program doesn't run on applications but continues to run on processes, using 100% of the CPU (I have to close it with the task manager). Other than those little things, another major problem is that the computer is overheating a LOT (overheating meaning to the point that it shuts off). I don't know if my room is too hot, but this didn't use to happen so often.

I think the OP is talking about winamp and means that under task manager it isn't showing up under the applications tab but still shows up under the processes tab.
      You can't fix Stupid!!!

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 09:01:38 AM »
      1) Ram usage is not your problem.
      2) If something - ANYTHING - is keeping the cpu spiked you need to check that app and run full scans for malware with BOTH your AV utility and MalwareBytes.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 09:12:55 AM »
      An uninstall and reinstall of winapp might also be helpful.  I'd uninstall winapp and observe Task Manager for awhile to verify nothing else was causing abnormal consumption of CPU resources, and then reinstall it.

highwaychilli

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 07:26:30 PM »
        Yeah I was talking about winamp, and the task manager. For AV I use the free Avira, I've heard it's good. I didn't have MalwareBytes. Downloaded it, awesome. I had figured re-installing winamp would probably fix it, but I wanted to know if that was only a symptom of the whole problematic I was facing. I ran the scan on both Avira and MB, and both found a couple of things. For the moment the computer is responding much better. Thanks a lot.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 05:43:14 AM »
        Well, you know what? If your scans came up with some malware why not go the whole route and make sure your system is "clean"? Follow this link and all instructions: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

stevener11

Beginner
          « Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 07:22:45 PM »
          Back ground process are eating up ram. Windows 7 support over 4 gigs of ram.  My laptop runs quite a bit fast with Windows 7, but not as fast as my Desktop. 
          SBE

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 10:22:23 AM »
          Windows 7 support over 4 gigs of ram. 

not the 32-bit version.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.