Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Kaspersky Potentially Unwanted Applications  (Read 9489 times)

Treval

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Kaspersky Potentially Unwanted Applications
    « on: March 19, 2010, 01:40:22 AM »
    Which one of these should I be worried about/get rid of?

potentially unwanted apps

Azzaboi

Apprentice
    • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Kaspersky Potentially Unwanted Applications
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 02:11:42 AM »
    You have NOD32 installed with Kaspersky? If both are running that would be a major slow down.
    It's snooped NOD32 and found a hacker tool it's removed and quarantined. Just empty the quarantine of NOD32 or delete, if it's not wanted.

'xpkey.exe' and 'officekey.exe' retrieve your Product Key (cd key) from your registry, which can used for illegal purposes. It's snooping in a protected area, so it's warning you about it.

VNC is Virtual Network Computing, remote control software, which allows someone remotely to connect to your computer and access it as if they where viewing the screen, etc. Normally used for helping out people with computer troubleshooting, etc. However, it's a major hole in the security. Any remote access enabled allows easy hackers access as well.

mIRC is an old version and like I said before can be scripted for malicous activities and any old fool can be a server.

Entirely up to you what you want to keep, remove or update.
    Aaron's Game Zone
    The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

Treval

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 02:16:17 AM »
      I don't need to know what VNC is. I'm already moderately knowledgable about it. Don't you see my computerhope status 'Experienced'? I put it there for a reason..

No I don't have NOD32 running with Kaspersky.
      Kaspersky is a slowdown by itself but it's the best. =P

Azzaboi

Apprentice
      • Aaron's Game Zone
        • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 02:26:29 AM »
      Was just pointing out any remote access can be abused. Even under windows services it's best to disable it if you don't use it. If you do use it, keep it but just be aware is all Kaspersky is trying to tell you.

And yes Kaspersky is really good protection. I've used NOD32 in the past, which is also pretty good, but didn't like it over Kaspersky Internet Security with the built-in firewall as well and so many other features.
      Aaron's Game Zone
      The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade