Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What laptop  (Read 6376 times)

Dave P

Topic Starter

Starter

What laptop
    « on: March 19, 2010, 04:37:40 AM »
    Hi guys.

Looking for a laptop to use on the move, screen size isn't too important, and it wont be doing much in the way of hard work like gaming or anything.

I did find these ultra mobile toshiba laptops with a 9 to 11 hour battery life, but is this a serious battery life, or max battery life assuming I leave it switched on and sit there looking at some pretty wallpaper. What do you think the ''real'' operating life will be.  ???

Also, I read this report, so if possible I would prefer something Asus, Toshiba or Sony.

Thanks in advance.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: What laptop
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 08:13:48 AM »
    About how much were you thinking of spending for a laptop?

Dave P

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 06:01:50 AM »
      I guess £500-£600 but cheaper is better unless I can get something special for my money

ganjaman

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 05:12:55 PM »
        Hi Dave P,
                         you might want to check these out if you are not going to be doing anything special with it. And maybe save a few £££'s There is some Toshibas on page 5

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/refurbished-laptops/703_7366_70436_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

I Love Allan XXX

Pirate1207

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:53:49 PM »
          for me the best choice is Toshibe and Sony. For the battery life span i think it can last for 7hours. But as time your using your laptop then of course your battery is degrade.

Dave P

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 03:30:43 AM »
            Hi Dave P,
                             you might want to check these out if you are not going to be doing anything special with it. And maybe save a few £££'s There is some Toshibas on page 5

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/refurbished-laptops/703_7366_70436_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

Thanks for the tip but I'm afraid I did go for one of the Toshiba laptops from their site in the end, sorry I'm at work at the moment *naughty* and I can't remember the model offhand.

I'm not much of a fan of refubs or PC world. While refurbs seem like a good idea, the change of failure of a component in a PC increases by about 6-7% per year, so anything that has been in use already greatly increases the chance of failure.

Also, PC world are terrible for bloatware, getting something from them I'd expect to have to do a hard drive wipe and reinstall windows.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 06:31:39 AM »
            I'm not much of a fan of refubs or PC world. While refurbs seem like a good idea, the change of failure of a component in a PC increases by about 6-7% per year, so anything that has been in use already greatly increases the chance of failure.

Actually, the complete opposite is true. For nearly any Electronic component like a CPU or motherboard, or video card, if it's going to fail, it will do so within a week or month of first use.

Also going by your math my Toshiba 440CDX that was manufacturered in 1995 has a 47 percent chance of inexplicably failing at any given moment; something which you would expect might be indicated by something other then it working perfectly fine. (alright, so the hard drive has a number of bad sectors, but hey, the hard drive is only supposed to last maybe 5 or 6 years).

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

ganjaman

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 12:20:33 PM »
              Yawn: yet another simple answer from BC :-X
              I Love Allan XXX

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 02:22:02 PM »
              Yawn: yet another simple answer from BC :-X

It seems much more eloquent than your reply though...

And it actually has substance.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              « Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 02:39:31 PM »
              It seems much more eloquent than your reply though...

Yeah... "There is toshibas?" It's alright to fail english class but do you <have> to advertise it?
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.