Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor Stuck on 16 color  (Read 13242 times)

patsy

Monitor Stuck on 16 color
« on: June 13, 2004, 09:33:56 PM »
Can't change display to 256 colors.  It is stuck on 16 and monochrome.  

The monitor I have plugged in is 17" Mag Innovation 170fs, and it's not on the list to choose.    How can I add it to the list?  

I have used it on another computer..  it plugged right in, was detected and worked with no problem at all.  

Thanks

Raptor

Re: Monitor Stuck on 16 color
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 04:17:13 AM »
Did you update your videocard drivers?

What O/S are you running?

patsy

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 05:32:17 AM »
Running 95.  How do I update drivers?  

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 06:27:31 AM »
http://www.maginnovision.com/
- New website
http://www.maginnovision.com/legacy/default.asp
- Old website

You might wish to contact Tech-support if the situation remains unsolved.

What kind of monitor is the 170 FS? I cannot find it in any of the lists.  

Also, did you format before hooking up this monitor? If you removed Windows 95 and reinstalled it (After formatting) you should also reinstall your videocard drivers.

Videocard drivers can be found on the manufacturer's website (What is your videocard's brand?) and on the videocard CD that came with the videocard package.

patsy

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 06:57:21 AM »
Raptor....  bought the monitor at a garage sale..  no documents with it.  It works, but I want to play some games and it says change to 256.

Thank you for the mag websites.  The machine I'm using is not on line...  will get it online and I think I can download the drivers.

Yes, I formatted old Dell that came with monitor.  Do I need to install sound drivers too?

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 06:58:37 AM »
If the soundcard isn't working, yes, you have to install drivers.

Are you certain that the monitor is a colour monitor? What is the make?

patsy

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 08:02:33 AM »
Oh yes, the monitor is beautiful color.  Had it hooked up to another cpu.  Don't know how to find out about make.  All it says on it's face is Mag Innovision 170FS.

I'm trying to get one working computer (for a 3-year old to begin learning  ABC's and such) out of all these junk computers I find at garage sales.  The first one I found was working out beautifully, and then the sound went sour.  I formatted it too.  Maybe I just needed to install drivers on it.  

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 10:58:07 AM »
Did the monitor you used before the Mag Innovision 170 FS work properly?

patsy

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 12:41:07 PM »
No, the other monitor did not work properly either.   I got the same message from the other cpu as I get using this one (need 256 colors to play game.. then it sends me to the list to pick out the driver and the monitor).

So I thought I would just plug the second cpu into the first monitor and have a working computer.  Wrong.  

Evidently, this cpu needs new drivers, because the monitor worked fine on the other cpu...  but the other cpu has no sound.

The other cpu has an exe called progman.  Wonder if that's the drivers?

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 01:13:13 PM »
Do you know what videocard is installed?

Assuming Direct X is installed: Go to Start -> Run and type DXDIAG.

Then head to the 'Monitor' tab and post the name here.

I have not got a lot of experience with Windows 95, but I think the problem here is that you have no videocard drivers installed.

If you even have a videocard installed. Although I am not quite sure if a computer will boot without one. (I never tried)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 01:13:47 PM by Raptor »

patsy

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 03:47:41 PM »
OK...  I'll try that.  But I doubt that Direct X is installed..  nothing else is.  

I tried to get the thing online, but it told me I didn't have a modem installed.  I'm freaking out.  I loaded Windows back into the machine...  why is there nothing I need on my hard drive?  Should I reinstall the 95?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 04:45:31 PM »
    Patsy.....what's happened to your machine .....last time I saw you here ....you had just successfully formatted and installed win 95 ....... You now have a problem with the modem........first ....is there a modem installed ?
    There may not be a driver in win 95 to make it function properly...... If in doubt.......shut down remove modem card ( when you have the card out record what make and model it is in case you need a driver for it )...then restart and shut down ........plug modem card back in and see if windows see it ........

let us know

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2004, 05:49:39 PM »
    I believe Windows 95 is very incompatible considering hardware.

You will most likely need drivers for everything you have installed and the Internet is the primairy source to get those.

Unless the device is Plug And Play, but if it does not function properly immediatly, assume it does not support Plug And Play.

Reinstalling Windows 95 will not help you. It is functioning correctly (Unless you experience  errors you have not yet notified us of?) and it will need drivers to help support the hardware installed.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 05:50:59 PM by Raptor »

patsy

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2004, 01:55:24 AM »
    OK...  guess I give up...  putting everything in a closet.

Thought I had it all figured out.  I hooked the original cpu back into the monitor and wrote down the settings for the monitor and adapter.  Then I disconnected the cpu and put the second one back in line and configured the monitor and adapter exactly the same way.  Still stuck on 16.

So now I have the original cpu hooked back up.  We'll just listen to the scratchy music.  At least we get a good picture.

Thanks for all the help.  

MalikTous

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2004, 04:23:46 PM »
    If you have recorded the hardware installed in the Win95 machine, you can download the necessary drivers from the manufacturer websites or www.driverguide.com and put them on CD - or use Direct Cable Connection (available with Win95B and later with MS Plus for Win95) to temporarily network the Win95 box with the online one and copy the files over, if you have no CD burner.

If the modem is a PCI device or 'soft modem' you need a driver to make it work.

As for the scratchy sound, check to see that the speaker jack on the card isn't loose and the cord for the speakers isn't broken. And updating the card drivers wouldn't hurt.