Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Game/unistall-Help please  (Read 15447 times)

Sparks

Game/unistall-Help please
« on: June 13, 2004, 11:13:06 PM »
I have this game and I installed it on my computer. Then I wanted to unistall and when I tried to it says "An installation support file could not be installed. Catastrophic failure. Then I tried searching for all the files in the game and that were related to the game and deleted them. I thought that if I did I could ust reinstall it. Then when I tried to reinstall it it said the same thing as when I tried to unistall it. I really want to get the game on my computer and make it so I can install it or somehow unistall it and then reinstall it. Also when I put the cd in, the main screan pops up and the only button I can press is unistall but when I click that the Catastropic failure thing pops up again. Can someone please help me.

Raptor

Re: Game/unistall-Help please
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 04:36:25 AM »
You either need to empty your registry and un-used files with a program such as Regseeker or Advanced System Optimizer

http://download.com.com/3000-2086-10147659.html

- Advanced System Optimize

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/regseeker.html

- Reg seeker.

If you remove older registry files and un-used files the computer will most likely give you the opportunity to reinstall the game because it will not have any data stored  concerning your install. No important data, that is.

Be careful when using these programs, follow the instructions and if you're not certain ask about them on this forum.

If you have done this, and the disk still refuses to uninstall, return it to the store and ask for a new one. If there's still a warranty on your disk.

May I know the name of the game?

Gans

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 05:55:55 AM »
I had the same problem with commando's 3. When you install something with the install shield some games add a map in c:\program files\InstallShield Installation Information.
In each map in the c:\program files\InstallShield Installation there is a setup file. Try running those, if one of those is a setup file of the game you can't install, you can delete the map containing it.(Beware you don't delete other stuff, because your computer wil get messed up)
Good luck

Sparks

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 11:18:25 AM »
The game is Battlefield Vietnam, and when I use those two program do I just search Battlefield Vietnam or Battle and then if sometihng comes up that I think is realted to the game delete it? I searched on Regseeker Battle and I got some things that I thought were related to the game. Now do I just delte those?

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 11:54:52 AM »
Just delete everything in the list. Unless you see something you definitely want to keep.

Be sure that the program is set to make back-ups of your registry.

I must say; Battlefield: Vietnam also gives trouble on my PC. I cannot uninstall Punkbuster that comes with it automatically.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 11:55:47 AM by Raptor »

Sparks

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 12:09:25 PM »
ok, well now I insert the cd and the a message pops up saying select a language. So you do that and then it that thing that says An Installtion support file could not be found. Catastrophic failure pops up again.

I think we're getting somewhere because now it thinks that it's already unistalled because I can't click the unistall button anymore, but not I can click the Install button.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 12:13:07 PM by Sparks »

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 01:15:37 PM »
I suggest you return your copy to the stores.
Clean your registry, clean any additional BF:V files and install the new copy.