Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems Caused by Lost XP Disc.  (Read 2605 times)

DAMKAT13

Problems Caused by Lost XP Disc.
« on: July 09, 2005, 08:10:41 PM »
Hi guys

Just a quick question. I have lost my Windows Xp disc, I am getting a new one but live in a small town and am waiting for it to come into stock. If someone find and uses my disc will my windows stop working?

Thanks

Damkat13 8)

Raptor

Re: Problems Caused by Lost XP Disc.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 04:50:40 AM »
No. But they will be able to use the product number if you lost it with the CD.

DAMKAT13

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 05:01:57 AM »
Hi

Thanks for replying. I am really not sure where my disc is. I dont remember receiving it with my computer it was already loaded but the shop were I bought my computer claims I would have. The dic isn't with my other computer software. I got Office with my computer as well and I still have this. I dont have the product key sticker on my computer so I assume it is with the disc. Anyway thanks for your help I really do appreciate it.

Thanks

Damkat13 8)

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 05:32:11 AM »
If you are certain that you have paid for Windows XP and the use of the product number, it is imperative that you locate the CD if you lost it since the product number can only be used twice (Assuming it is an OEM or Upgrade of either Home or Professional) and you will otherwise have to phone Microsoft to have your product reactived.

Also, if you are certain you did not loose the Windows XP CD (Which is rather difficult, considering the shiney-ness factor) you should use your receipt to demand a copy of Windows XP from the store you bought it from.. Assuming the code/name is actually on the receipt, however, I am certain that you know how to handle the customer-complaint section of this story..

But before you do either, be certain that Windows XP is not located on a recovery CD. It may not even be named Windows XP and you will not notice it is on the CD until you insert i in the CD/DVD-ROM drive.

DAMKAT13

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 05:42:37 AM »
Thanks for your help I will look into it further.

Thanks Again

Damkat13 8)

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 11:44:14 AM »
Contact the manufactures of your pc and ask for a replacement install  disk...