Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Multiple Connections Issue  (Read 23398 times)

UKnewWho

Rookie

Re: Multiple Connections Issue
    « Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 08:07:52 PM »
    Your 3g stops working because windows will assume your LAN/WLAN are the default connection because they have a default gateway addressed assigned, and are higher in priority.

On the laptop, keep your static IP, Subnet leave your Default gateway and DNS servers blank.
    On the desktop, set a static IP, Subnet, set your Gateway to the IP of the laptop and the DNS to a vailid DNS on the internet 8.8.8.8 (google.com dns servers).

Hope that helps.

Ryder17z

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 04:19:19 PM »
    You don't seem to have read the whole topic, or your misunderstanding the problem

Your 3g stops working because windows will assume your LAN/WLAN are the default connection because they have a default gateway addressed assigned, and are higher in priority.

It doesn't stop working, as I currently have BOTH ACTIVATED without any issues you probably where thinking of

On the laptop, keep your static IP, Subnet leave your Default gateway and DNS servers blank.
    On the desktop, set a static IP, Subnet, set your Gateway to the IP of the laptop and the DNS to a vailid DNS on the internet 8.8.8.8 (google.com dns servers).

Ehrm, Why would that make the result different? 

It was not what I needed to do when connecting several computers in a bigger network about 2 years ago

And I never stated I need an internet connection on the desktop, actually I don't, all I need is the file/printer sharing to work between the 2 computers

At this moment, I can:
    • Use both LAN and 3G connection without redirection issues

But I can't get one computer to find the other, which is the issue, once that's solved file/printer sharing will be a "piece-a-cake" to setup, compared to the rest that has been or is about to be made
    The cake is a lie...

UKnewWho

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 05:51:42 AM »
      Is the windows 7 new to the equation? You said it was working 2 years ago, or was the a different setup?

You said you can access the access point from both machine. Can you ping each machine from each other (ie. ping laptop to desktop and desktop to laptop)?

If you can ping each other and windows 7 is new. I think this may be a NTLM V2 issue. The way windows 7 by default handles the network log on will not work with XP.

To change the NTLM version in windows 7 follow this:
      1. click start
      2. type gpedit.msc (if using classic start menu click run then type gpedit.msc)
      3. navigate to Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options
      4. Scroll down the list until you see 'Network security: LAN Manager authentication level'
      5. Double click and change the level to 'Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated'

Let me know if that helps.

Ryder17z

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • Yes
      « Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 06:07:35 PM »
      The other network wasn't mine, I just set it up for someone else, so that's nothing to bother about

Back to the problem:

As said before: Both computers can ping each other

And what the !#&%¤ ? - gpedit.msc doesn't exist in the version of Win7 i got (Premium)
      The cake is a lie...

UKnewWho

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 11:44:56 PM »
        gpedit.msc is the group policy editor. Should be in Win 7 Premium.

Try going to
        1. Start -> Control Panel
        2. System and Security
        3. Administrative Tools
        4. Local Security Policy

From with-in the Local Security Policy navigate to

Local Policies -> Security Options

In Secuirty Options in the righ hand panel scroll down to 'Network security: LAN Manager authentication level' change this setting to 'Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated' then reboot and try again.

Let me know if that helps.

Ryder17z

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          • Yes
        « Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 05:49:01 AM »
        1, 2, 3 could be followed

But the policies seems to only be inside "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security"

And I can't find "Network security: LAN Manager authentication level" in there
        The cake is a lie...

UKnewWho

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 06:06:24 AM »
          Yes you are correct, Windows Home Premium does not have the local policy editor, I am sorry didn't think about that. You will need to work around this by editing the registry directly.

1. Click start -> type RegEdit
          2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
          3. In the right hand panel find 'LmCompatibilityLevel'
          4. Double click this entry, the default number should be 3, we need to change this to 1
          5. Click OK, close regedit, and reboot the computer.

Once back into windows try again, and let me know.

Ryder17z

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            • Yes
          « Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 08:20:07 AM »
          Uh? - That entry doesn't exist in that path ???

I tried searching for "LmCompatibilityLevel" in RegEdit, but it only found 2 groups which was NT-software related - Which obviously isn't the same thing
          The cake is a lie...

UKnewWho

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 08:21:41 PM »
            Create it.

1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
            2. In the right panel right click -> New -> DWord (32bit) Value
            3. Copy and paste the name of 'LmCompatibilityLevel' (without ' )
            4. assign a value of 1.
            5. Reboot

Ryder17z

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              • Yes
            « Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 07:29:56 AM »
            Ok, I created the entry, assigned it "1" and rebooted

But nothing changed, maybe the value should be in decimal instead of hex ?
            The cake is a lie...

UKnewWho

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 12:19:56 PM »
              Do you get an error message when trying to access the other computer? From laptop \\desktop-name or \\desktop-ip  and from the desktop \\laptop-name \\laptop-ip

Ryder17z

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                • Yes
              « Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »
              Uhm, something did actually change, I can enter a shared folder on the laptop from the desktop, but not do anything in it, not even see the contents or anything
              But only if I use "http://192.168.1.2/FolderName" - using computer's name gives an error

And as the 2 computers can't see each other, I can't get the permissions to work either

I also tried to access a shared folder on the desktop from the laptop, that gave instant errors no matter what way I used
              The cake is a lie...

UKnewWho

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 06:08:14 PM »
                OK Getting somewhere then.

Lets disable simple file sharing
                Windows XP (hadn't asked, is this XP Pro or Home?).
                1. Open any folder
                2. Click Tools -> Folder Options
                3. Click the View Tab
                4. Scroll all the way to the bottom and uncheck 'Use Simple File Sharing'

On your share on the desktop, right click and select Sharing & Security ensure Everyone has full control

Windows 7
                1. Open any folder
                2. Click Tools -> Folder Options (may need to press alt key to show file menu)
                3. Click the View Tab
                4. Scroll all the way to the bottom and uncheck 'Use Sharing Wizard'

Again, enusre everyone has full control on the shares you need access too.

Also, make sure all firewalls are turned off
                XP - start->run->cmd -> enter 'netsh firewall set opmode mode=disable' in the command window (no 's)
                7 - start->cmd -> enter 'netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off' in the command window (no 's needs to be run as admin)

Also, you say the still can't "see each other"
                if you ping desktop-name from the laptop does it resolve the correct IP and from the desktop to the laptop?

Ryder17z

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                  • Yes
                « Reply #28 on: April 24, 2010, 06:27:52 AM »
                Pro

Win7 firewall is disabled for Home/Office networks and enabled for public
                I have added the desktop PC to the "whitelist" and "trusted zones list" in Rising Firewall 2010
                And I have specified a "trusted" ip-range in the Win7 firewall

In Rising Firewall, I can disable/enable several "IP Rules", Currently looking like this:

Maybe I should change something here?
                EDIT: "Allow BT DownLoad" is enabled

In cmd I get this on XP:
                The following command could not be found: firewall set opmode mode=disable

Haven't tried running without firewall on the laptop, because last time I did so on the desktop it got some virus or something in which replaced the Windows bootscreen with a message in HEX code and it froze afterwards
                Wiped the harddrives, and putted everything back in and then there was no problem

Now I can't access anything on one computer from the other, no matter what path I use
                The cake is a lie...

UKnewWho

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 07:45:07 AM »
                  Hmm never used Rising firewall but lets try and adding rules for SMB.

Allow incoming and outgoing traffic on UDP and TCP ports 135-139
                  and NetoBIOS traffic UDP and TCP port 445

Which machine has rising running on it, XP or 7?