Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Multiple Connections Issue  (Read 23403 times)

Ryder17z

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Multiple Connections Issue
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2010, 06:39:52 AM »
The cake is a lie...

Sid

Apprentice
    « Reply #46 on: May 14, 2010, 09:04:39 AM »
    I have done this before, but I don't remember how I did it...

Desktop PC has no internet connection and is wired to both a Netgear router and also a Samsung printer

Laptop is connected to the internet by an on-board 3G modem and got wireless access to the router

The problem occurs when I connect the laptop to the wireless network, the 3G connection stops working and I got no internet connection until I disconnect from the wireless network

My question is: How do set it up so I can share documents and printer between the two computers and still being able to use the internet connection on the laptop?

Useful info:
    Router: Netgear WNR1000v2 Wireless N 150
    Laptop OS: Win7
    3G connection gets configured by auto
    Router and Desktop PC has got static IP Addresses

Have you got a default gateway identified on the LAN (Laptop -> router) connection?

If so, remove it, and add in a static route.

If you need more info, just let me know.

Ryder17z

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • Yes
    « Reply #47 on: May 16, 2010, 08:16:52 AM »
    Uhm, what do you mean?

Currently the Default Gateway is set to the routers ip
    The cake is a lie...

Sid

Apprentice
      « Reply #48 on: May 16, 2010, 08:24:49 AM »
      Uhm, what do you mean?

Currently the Default Gateway is set to the routers ip

Right, so you've got the 3G connection up, and you've got it connected to the Router at the same time right?

If so, I think the problem you're experiencing is down to the fact that there are two default gateways, which isn't supposed to happen.

What I would recommend is removing the default gateway from the laptop -> router connection, and add a static route in.

If you give me the LAN IP settings, ie the gateway address and subnet mask I should be able to help you with the command you'll need to enter.

Ryder17z

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • Yes
      « Reply #49 on: May 16, 2010, 10:49:54 AM »
      Yeah

But I did mess around with the network and other security settings and now I got this state in my network:

Win7 can see WinXP Computer
      WinXP can see/access the shared files/folders/printer on Win7

Win7 can't access WinXP Computer

I do not have passwords setup on the accounts, both got the same name, but when I try to access the WinXP computer from the Win7 I get "Invalid network password"

I tried a new password protected account on WinXP, but that gave me same error

But another thing that seems weird is that both computers is set to have same workgroup, but when I tried to connect to the WinXP from Win7 last time, it said "Domain" ???

And why does it say "invalid network password" ?
      It's already connected to the part that makes a network, the router - There is no password on the account I tried to connect to/with/through

Microsoft says they make it easier with Win7, and they said the same about WinXP, but I think it gets harder and harder ::)
      The cake is a lie...

Sid

Apprentice
        « Reply #50 on: May 17, 2010, 05:52:38 AM »
        Yeah

But I did mess around with the network and other security settings and now I got this state in my network:

Win7 can see WinXP Computer
        WinXP can see/access the shared files/folders/printer on Win7

Win7 can't access WinXP Computer

I do not have passwords setup on the accounts, both got the same name, but when I try to access the WinXP computer from the Win7 I get "Invalid network password"

I tried a new password protected account on WinXP, but that gave me same error

But another thing that seems weird is that both computers is set to have same workgroup, but when I tried to connect to the WinXP from Win7 last time, it said "Domain" ???

And why does it say "invalid network password" ?
        It's already connected to the part that makes a network, the router - There is no password on the account I tried to connect to/with/through

Microsoft says they make it easier with Win7, and they said the same about WinXP, but I think it gets harder and harder ::)

Have a look in the local security policy on the XP machine, under Local Policies, User Rights Assigments.

Maybe something there has been modified?

Sid

Apprentice
          « Reply #51 on: May 17, 2010, 05:55:24 AM »
          In particular look at:

Access this computer from the Network
          Allow logon through Terminal Services (for using Remote Desktop)
          Deny access to thie computer from the network
          Deny logon through Terminal Services (for using Remote Desktop)

Ryder17z

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            • Yes
          « Reply #52 on: May 17, 2010, 06:53:25 AM »
          Uhm, I have found something very weird now

I did allow the win7 compter to connect through Terminal Services

And then i tried with the 2 accounts, none of them worked, it said "wrong network password"

After trying many times, I decided to test a random set of characters and use it as username

And the weird part is that I could successfully connect with the username "0.o" and no password
          How the heck? - that account doesn't exist and normally you need to connect with a real account ???
          The cake is a lie...

Sid

Apprentice
            « Reply #53 on: May 17, 2010, 11:20:29 AM »
            Uhm, I have found something very weird now

I did allow the win7 compter to connect through Terminal Services

And then i tried with the 2 accounts, none of them worked, it said "wrong network password"

After trying many times, I decided to test a random set of characters and use it as username

And the weird part is that I could successfully connect with the username "0.o" and no password
            How the heck? - that account doesn't exist and normally you need to connect with a real account ???

Is the everyone account in the list of Access this computer from the Network and are there any users in the Deny access to thie computer from the network?

Ryder17z

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              • Yes
            « Reply #54 on: May 17, 2010, 02:13:29 PM »
            The deny list is empty

The allow list is also empty, I can't add users in there, because when I try to I can't expand the network

And I can't see the Win7 computer if I browse the network on WinXP
            The cake is a lie...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #55 on: May 17, 2010, 08:52:32 PM »
            unless you enter a user account in the form Computername/username then you are connecting via the everyone account.

For example, even though both my desktop and laptop both have my user named BC_Programming, if I enter "BC_Programming" at the credentials prompt when I try to access a shared folder I get access denied. If I want to access my laptop, I have to enter Satellite\BC_Programming, otherwise, I connect as TERATRON\BC_Programming, which ends up using the Everyone account credentials on my laptop (which cannot access the files I want either)

And I can't see the Win7 computer if I browse the network on WinXP

You won't be able to see the windows 7 computer on the network until you change the version of it's network protocol. by default, windows 7 tries to communicate using NTLMv3, but XP only supports version 2.

You can change it by modifying the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\LmCompatibilityLevel and changing it to 2.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Ryder17z

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              • Yes
            « Reply #56 on: May 18, 2010, 01:49:35 AM »
            What "Everyone Account" ?

As far as I know there is only 3 accounts, 1 with password, my regular and the system administrator

I will try te Comptername/Username when I get home

And I assume the reg value should be in HEX, is that right ?
            The cake is a lie...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #57 on: May 18, 2010, 01:59:01 AM »
            What "Everyone Account" ?
            the "everyone" account is actually a group that applies to all users. Also, there are a lot of hidden accounts created by different programs. For example, I have Administrator and BC_Programming, but I also have 5 "hidden" accounts that don't display in either the user accounts dialog or at the log in screen, __vmware_user_, Guest, HomeGroupUser$ and VUSR_TERATRON. These were created by both windows itself (guest and HomeGroupuser$, but also by VMWare and Visual Studio.

And I assume the reg value should be in HEX, is that right ?

2 in hexadecimal is the same as 2 in decimal.
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Ryder17z

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              • Yes
            « Reply #58 on: May 18, 2010, 08:36:17 AM »
            I tried the computername/user but it woudn't work, it still says "wrong network password"

But the "everyone" account worked as I thought it would, based on your description

Through the everyone account, I have access to anything shared, so it's finally working somehow

The allow list is also empty, I can't add users in there, because when I try to I can't expand the network
            Why ?

And lastly: Is there a tool which would allow me to test the transfer rate of the network ?
            The cake is a lie...

Sid

Apprentice
              « Reply #59 on: May 18, 2010, 08:54:58 AM »
              I tried the computername/user but it woudn't work, it still says "wrong network password"

But the "everyone" account worked as I thought it would, based on your description

Through the everyone account, I have access to anything shared, so it's finally working somehow

Why ?

And lastly: Is there a tool which would allow me to test the transfer rate of the network ?

Did you try the \ instead? I'm pretty sure the syntax is Computer\User.

How exactly are you trying to connect to the other machine?  Have you tried Start -> Run -> "\\ComputerName\ShareName"?