Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Missing Windows Balloon Pop-up's  (Read 2550 times)

cobberhead

Missing Windows Balloon Pop-up's
« on: July 10, 2005, 08:39:01 PM »
Hello, I am new to this forum and i hope I am doing this in the right section. I just bought a new computer and i notice that the balloon popups do not work. What i mean is for example when using the "Safely Remove Hardware Wizard" and other programs that usually popup alerting me of something dose not work. But i can hear the pop. Is there a setting that will allow me to enable this feature? My computer is a Compaq using windows xp home sp2, using Norton IS 2005. I know that its not anything that i have installed because its been doing this right outta the box. Thank You

Mac

Re: Missing Windows Balloon Pop-up's
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 02:52:22 AM »
HOW TO: Disable Notification Area Balloon Tips in Windows XP

1.      Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.      
2.      Navigate to the following subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
3.      Right-click the right pane, create a new DWORD value, and then name it EnableBalloonTips.      
4.      Double-click this new entry, and then give it a hexadecimal value of 0.      
5.      Quit Registry Editor. Log off Windows, and then log back on.      
These steps disable all Notification Area balloon tips for this user. There is no way to disable balloon tips for specific programs only.

If you have the EnableBalloonTips value in your registry and you find that it is set to 0 try changing it to 1 then see if the balloon tips appear when you re-boot.

Most people hate these ballooon tips after using XP for a while and want to turn them off, so you'll know where to look when you want to change the value back to 0.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 04:06:51 AM by Mac »

cobberhead

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 04:00:40 AM »
I Thank You so much, that fixed my problem. I now know where to go when i have questions about my computer. Again, Thank You

Mac

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 04:06:20 AM »
Thanks for telling us the good news. At least your first experience was a good one.

You are very welcome.