Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unRAID experience request  (Read 2201 times)

Sn3akyP3t3

Topic Starter

Beginner

unRAID experience request
    « on: April 11, 2010, 10:43:28 PM »
    I'm planning on either purchasing a dedicated unRAID server from LimeTech or converting an existing tower to a dedicated unRAID machine.  The dedicated server would be built by LimeTech for $700 since building it myself would end up costing either on par or far more.  This would be one of the only rigs that wouldn't be featuring a power supply from PC Power & Cooling that I've owned.  Anyway, the idea is at the moment is strictly for data storage.  I would like to have a location where all security cameras, crashplan, backups, and media storage can be centrally located under the umbrella of security and data recoverability in the event of single drive failure.

I know there is a free max 3 drive version, but I'm looking for personal experience of others here.  Once I have had some experience of my own with it I plan on returning the favor on this thread.

I know unRAID runs on linux, but I'm unsure if the box running it is capable of running other apps as well.  If so I would like to include setting up the box to run a firewall, spam assassin, and perhaps even zoneminder.  I have a separate box that is running most of those apps, but if the box running unRAID is to be kept online 24/7 then I would like it to be running those apps.

Thanks to anyone that has pioneered this or has personal experience to share about using unRAID.