Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New hard drive installation won't boot.  (Read 8945 times)

albie4star

New hard drive installation won't boot.
« on: June 14, 2004, 12:14:51 PM »
I just bought a new Samsung 120 GB harddrive, 7200 RPM, 8M.  I installed it into my desktop and put in the Windows XP cd to install. The blue screen came up and guided me through the format and then reboot.  After the reboot the black screen said "press any key to boot from cd".  This just takes you back to the blue screen again, so instead I didn't press anything.  It should just load up but instead it gives me an error message.  It says

"couldn't open drive mutli(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
NTLDR: couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)"

How do I install the hard drive the proper way?  I hope someone can help me out with this problem.

Joleen

Re: New hard drive installation won't boot.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 12:41:15 PM »
I'll assume you havn't done this yet.. Change the BIOS to boot off the CD first.  If the new drive is the only one in your computer, remove all the jumpers from it.  If it's a slave then make sure the slave jumper is on.  You're right in thinking the system will pretty much take care of itself.  It will walk you through the creation and formatting of a partition then follow through the install process.