Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Multiple network adapters, will this work?  (Read 2821 times)

WyattSoft

Topic Starter

Beginner

Multiple network adapters, will this work?
    « on: April 19, 2010, 03:59:11 AM »
    I would like to transfer a lot of files from my HP computer to my new build.

My current setup limits me to a speed of 100Mbits.

My idea was to buy a 1Gbit PCI card for the HP and a 100Mbit card for the Custom build, so it will be like this:

Would this work? (Would I be able to transfer files at 1Gbit and still have internet though the router?

drivenbywhat

Beginner

Re: Multiple network adapters, will this work?
      « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:00:19 AM »
      I like your drawings. I don't know why you made the nics in the second drawing bigger than the others but that's besides the point. You actually do have the right idea but just need some pointers on actually setting it up. The connection between the two computers will require that you have a crossover ethernet cable between them. You will also have to assign them static ip addresses. Also, do you plan on still using the hp afterwards? If not then it's a waste of money to buy the 2 nics for a one time use. You can just transfer the files over night while you sleep so it doesn't affect your internet. Do you plan on using the internet from the hp as well? If not you could just buy 1 nic.
      If you think the number of posts you have coincides with your status you are wrong. If you put guru under experience you are a noob. If your post doesn't help the requester and only starts a flame war think before replying. If you are moderator and contribute to these things you should have your privileges revoked.

WyattSoft

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:13:25 PM »
        The NIC's are bigger because they're actual cards, not a chip on the motherboard.

I plan to use the HP as a Linux web browsing machine and my custom build as a gaming machine.
        So both computers need to be able to access the internet (without sharing, so one computer can access the internet without the other being on).

And overnight copying isn't an option as the computers are in my bedroom, they're too hot and noisy to sleep with.

UKnewWho

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 03:54:22 PM »
          Just remember to not set a default gateway and dns on the cards between the two computers, only on the LAN cards. Also best to assign them a different network address (ie LAN is 192.168.1.x make your crossover 192.168.2.x)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 08:59:54 PM »
          It works.

drivenbywhat

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:43:09 AM »
            How about daytime copying while you are at work/school?

@ Geek-9pm - I can't believe I trusted you with my backup plan. Couldn't resist ;D.
            If you think the number of posts you have coincides with your status you are wrong. If you put guru under experience you are a noob. If your post doesn't help the requester and only starts a flame war think before replying. If you are moderator and contribute to these things you should have your privileges revoked.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »
            @ Geek-9pm - I can't believe I trusted you with my backup plan. Couldn't resist ;D.
            You  will be glad to know...
            We have cut our ties with Goldman Sachs Group Inc.

Fraud charges spark push for bank reform. -Vancouver Sun

jefferyj40

Starter

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 03:20:23 PM »
              The crossover cable via the Gig NIC cards is the best peer to peer xfer u can get. But the overnight xfer would be fine if cost and usage is prohibited.

Jeff

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 03:31:56 PM »
              Giga  bit  very fast.