Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Remove Domain references from laptop  (Read 2101 times)

rcooper

Topic Starter

Remove Domain references from laptop
    « on: April 21, 2010, 10:43:56 PM »
    I used to work in an office and had to connect to their domain. At home, computer still thinks there is a domain. I just want to boot up Windows and connnect to internet wirelessly. That currently works. How to get rid of domain, its logins etc.
    Thank you.

drivenbywhat

Beginner

Re: Remove Domain references from laptop
      « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 07:13:32 AM »
      Well you right click MY COMPUTER & select PROPERTIES. Then go to the COMPUTER NAME tab & change it from a DOMAIN to a WORKGROUP. However, keep the following in mind. You will automatically lose any user account that was associated with that domain. So if you have files in that account that you still need make sure to back it up or say bye bye to them. Also, since you will get rid of that account you need to make sure you have a local account on the pc to be able to log into it afterward. If you don't then you'll need to login with the admin account and you better know the password!
      If you think the number of posts you have coincides with your status you are wrong. If you put guru under experience you are a noob. If your post doesn't help the requester and only starts a flame war think before replying. If you are moderator and contribute to these things you should have your privileges revoked.

rcooper

Topic Starter

Re: Remove Domain references from laptop
        « Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 09:41:19 AM »
        Thank you for your reply.  As the saying goes, "Given enough time even a blind hog will find an acorn." I rummaged thru enough and found that answer. Now I want to remove the local workgroup. I don't need to share files, etc. The printer is connected thru the router so its wireless.  I'll try the name panel again.

New problem: Seems that Winsock keeps getting messed up. Windows (or IE) is able to reset the defaults but it is still an inconvenience. It means I have to do a restart. Maybe this will be eliminated with the removal of the workgroup.

Thanks again for your help.