Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot find program and missing icons  (Read 3546 times)

nixnine

Cannot find program and missing icons
« on: April 21, 2010, 09:49:08 AM »
Still new to Linux, I have several issues I have not been able to resolve.  First, I am having difficulty installing programs.  I am using Ultimate Edition 2.5 (Ubuntu 9.10) and am attempting to install povray.  I used aptitude to download and supposedly install the program, and synaptic tells me it is installed.  The problem is that I can't find the program.  Nothing showed up in any menus.  I searched the filesystem and found where it is supposed to be, but it is not all there.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times but to no avail.  Any ideas?

Second, and this one may not be that big of a problem, but it has become annoying, during the use of my computer, at times icons are disappearing from my tool bar.  Yesterday the icon to shutdown the comouter was gone, no button, no user name, nothing.  It is back now, but the volume control and internet icons are missing.  Any help there?

Thanks

Dell Inspiron 1545
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
250 Gig Hd
3 Gig Ram
Dual Boot Ultimate Edition 2.5 (for me) and Windows Vista (the wife)

mr-bisquit

Re: Cannot find program and missing icons
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 03:55:45 PM »
Open a terminal.
Type in the following commands.
Code: [Select]
locate povray |grep /bin/
apropos povray
locate povray|grep doc

You need to either buy a book on linux/unix commands or you need to look for online documentation.

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Cannot find program and missing icons
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 04:23:09 PM »
The problem is that I can't find the program.  Nothing showed up in any menus.
Some programs are meant to be started from Terminal and they don't put icons in the menu. Does your program start from a terminal command?