Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Get into BIOS with USB keyboard?  (Read 32374 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Get into BIOS with USB keyboard?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 05:23:55 AM »
Did she install software for this fancy ergonomic keyboard ? ?
Can the machine boot into Windows ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 11:21:56 AM »
    I don't recall her adding any new programs on my computer. Wasn't really paying attention. I don't see anything I can't account for.
    As for booting into Windows, no problem at all.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 01:02:19 PM »
    Look in Control Panel/Add Remove Programs for a keyboard app...
    Uninstall it and re-boot.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
    ...and this is going to affect his ability to get into the BIOS how, exactly?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 01:17:11 PM »
    Not at all...

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 05:17:40 PM »
      I am out of my depth on this one but i do have an idea--if it can be accomplished without a keyboard on the affected computer. Can the problem computer be networked to another computer and operated from the other computer? Maybe networking isn't the right way but the idea is to access the problem computer from another computer. Although it would seem to me that if one PS2 port (the mouse) is still accessible then the "Y" connection suggested should work.truenorth

Salmon Trout

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 12:11:11 AM »
      Although it would seem to me that if one PS2 port (the mouse) is still accessible then the "Y" connection suggested should work.

A given system's keyboard and mouse port may not be interchangeable since the two devices use a different set of commands, and although the pinouts of the connectors are the same, most computers will not recognize devices connected to the wrong connector. And I doubt if any computer will recognise two devices connected to the same port. PS/2 is NOT USB.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 08:03:44 AM »
        Indeed, i was worried about that aspect.What about the aspect of running the functions of the damaged computer (PS2 port) from another computer --any merit to that? Don't worry about hurting my feeling with a negative answer. I am really clutching at straws trying to give a helpfull suggestion on this one.Or how about one of these/ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124045
        truenorth

Salmon Trout

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 11:29:28 AM »
        Or how about one of these/ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124045

Yes. The customer reviews sound like it will do exactly what you want. And it's cheap.

SYBA PCI 32-bit High Speed USB 2.0 2x Ports and 2x PS2 Port Combo Card

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 02:30:52 PM »
        ... The customer reviews sound like it will do exactly what you want...
        However, 1 review said:  "The BIOS is oblivious to these new ports so I still need a keyboard with the old AT connector (large 5-pin DIN) to access BIOS setup."

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 03:10:24 PM »
          Great...I order a "Y" cable and now I'm told it probably won't work! Products like these shouldn't be allowed to be sold if only a small percentage will work.
          With my luck, the ps2 card wouldn't work either.

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 03:45:56 PM »
            I finally borrowed a ps2 keyboard from a friend to try in the ps2 port and now his keyboard doesn't work! Same response, no functionality, same flickering lights. This tells me that the ports are not only fried, they are lethal. They have killed 3 keyboards.
            I just got the SYBA ps2/usb2 PCI card, as previously mentioned. If the ps2 ports are lethal, do I dare install the PCI card? Could these ports destroy the card, if they are still powered?
            Someone here asked if the ps2 ports were turned off in the BIOS. I was thinking it would be nice if this could be done to insure the installation of the card., but then again, how do I get into the BIOS without installing the card. What a vicious circle!

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »
            ...I just got the SYBA ps2/usb2 PCI card, as previously mentioned. If the ps2 ports are lethal, do I dare install the PCI card? Could these ports destroy the card, if they are still powered?...
            I don't see how installing the new PCI card will damage anything.  It's PS2 ports & USB ports have no connection to the onboard ports.  Their connections are through the PCIbus.

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 08:29:59 PM »
              Thanks Commando, I sure hope so, I'm quickly running out of funds.

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 09:32:18 PM »
                Well, I got the new ps2 keyboard yesterday. I then installed the Syba usb/ps2 pci card (shown above) and plugged in the keyboard. All worked well. I rebooted to get into the BIOS while tapping the "Delete" key. No BIOS! I tried every conceivable way I could think of, but no BIOS. Are there other keys/combinations I should try? At startup, the keyboard lights flicker, but go off. They don't come on again till the Windows screen. Apparently, the pci slots aren't  recognized by the computer any sooner than the USB keyboard.
                Still open for suggestions...