Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Spontaneous reboots...  (Read 8022 times)

fitterhappier

Spontaneous reboots...
« on: July 13, 2005, 04:27:26 AM »
Hi there. I'm running on Windows XP, security pack 1.

A few months ago, I tried installing SP2, but when it took soooo long to install, I (stupidly) cancelled it, leaving it 1/20th uninstalled. After this, I began suffering from the frequent crash bug that some people had to deal with after installing SP2. I uninstalled SP2 by using the method on the Microsoft website, and the crashes stopped - but not completely.

Now, often when I extract or decode files (I record concerts and encode them to flac or shn often) and then try to use the .wavs that come about after they are decoded, my computer randomly reboots. Also, the WoW patch 1.6 came out today - and i can't install the patch because every time it gets to a certain point, my computer reboots.

Help, please?   :( :(

Mac

Re: Spontaneous reboots...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 05:24:24 AM »
Just had this problem on another forum and suggested they try AutoPatcher 5·1

They just replied to say that all had installed properly and the system was running fine.

Give it a try and see if it works for you.

If you have an XP CD and it doesn't have SP2 then you should slipstream SP2 together with the core files from your XP CD to make an .ISO file from which to burn an XP SP2 CD so that you can run sfc /scannow if you ever need to.

So download AutoStreamer 1·0 as well.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 05:24:43 AM by Mac »

fitterhappier

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 05:59:37 AM »
Thanks Mac, I'm downloaded AutoPatcher now, hopefully it'll help :)

What exactly does AutoStreamer do?

Mac

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 07:46:28 AM »
AutoStreamer merges the SP2 files with the core files from your XP CD updating the old files as it does so.

What you end up with is an XP CD with SP2 which is as up to date as it can be, notwithstanding the subsequent 40 or so updates.

Time for SP3, or a Longhorn replacement.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 06:52:09 PM »
Fitter:

I'd suggest ordering the free Microsoft Security Update CD, which includes Service Pack 2 for Windows XP.  It will take about a month to arrive by mail.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/cd/confirm.mspx

In my opinion, installing Service Pack 2 will likely fix what ails your operating system.

Regards,
Doc

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 06:55:05 PM »
P.S. For anyone who is interested, the Microsoft Security Update CD has the latest service packs for Windows XP, ME, 2000 Professional, 98 Second Edition and 98 Standard Edition.

And ya' can't beat the price, 'cause (like getting into heaven) it's absolutely free!  

:)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 06:55:44 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Fitterhappier

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 08:12:44 PM »
Hey, thanks for your help guys.

I downloaded, and ran AutoPatcher, and unfortunately there was no progress. I fully reinstalled World of Warcraft, redownloaded the patch and it still crashes when it gets to a certain point.

Having done that, I restarted my computer, and ended up getting the constant crash/reboot problems that I had MONTHS ago after I first installed SP2, so I've now installed it - and am back at square one.

good times :(

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 08:35:22 PM »
System specs are?........for a pc to do this...possibles are msblaster/sasser worm........hardware/drivers/ or not compatable with winxp.......view the events error log/control panel admin tools

fitterhappier

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 08:50:30 PM »
Let me check out the event viewer log for errors for when the crash occurs, maybe that'll help...

I'm running on an HP Pavilion system, 1.8 GHZ Celeron, 368 MB ram, Intel Integrated GFX card (not wonderful for games, but it works, somehow).

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 08:53:25 PM »
An old program that still haunts windows??

http://www.computerhope.com/software/drwatson.htm

fitterhappier

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 08:53:50 PM »
Oh and I'm pretty sure it isn't sasser/blaster, as I scan for viruses all the time and nothing has come up.

fitterhappier

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 09:20:13 PM »
K...this doesn't make any sense...

I just tried to run the patch, to try to get an error for you guys to mull over...but it went past the place that it was previously cold rebooting at, and it gave me this error at 92% (about 15% further on than it has gone before):

Blizzard BNUpdate v2.109 compiled on May 12 2005
Log created at  2:56 pm on 07/14/2005

This patch upgrades World of Warcraft from version 1.0.0.3980 to version 1.6.0.4500.

ERROR: internal error 5 processing file 'AZ_Deadmines_B_041.wmo'

RESULT: Patch failed

sigh. Time to reinstall and redownload, i guess.

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 05:20:40 AM »
Why were you trying to patch a game? That does not seem relevant to the situation at hand?

charliebrown

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 03:59:19 PM »
An old program that still haunts windows??

http://www.computerhope.com/software/drwatson.htm

Is Dr. Watson a good thing or, possibly a problem?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 04:28:16 PM »
    Turn off System Failure Automatic Reboot.
    Test your ram.
    Update windows.
    Find & run a variety of scans for worms, viruses & trojans, you will find links in many of Raptor's posts.
    My gut feeling.... hardware, probably ram related.