Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Configuring Language Preference / overiding cookies and ip address  (Read 2341 times)

jmorgan17

Topic Starter

Hello,

I am primarily use mozilla firefox and google for internet research. 

But, I live in Mexico and everything reverts to Spanish automatically which is profoundly frustrating because I do not fully comprehend Spanish.

Is there a sure fire method to set these parameters to English only that will be permanant?  I have tried to figure this out on my own, but since most of the instructions are in Spanish it is even more frustrating.   

I appreciate any help I can get at this point.  I work on a tight schedule online and I simply do not have any more time to devote to this irritating problem.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Configuring Language Preference / overiding cookies and ip address
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 07:06:04 PM »
    You will need to use the English version of Fire Fox. You may want to set up an account on Google and indicate that you want English.
    Have you already done that?
    You have to have some cookies.
    Your local ISP is in Mexico, - Right? This signals web sites you are in an Spanish country.

UKnewWho

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 07:36:09 PM »
      Has nothing to do with what version your firefox is. Google will try and determine where you are in the world and base it's search results off of that. You can use something like The Onion Router (TOR) http://www.torproject.org/or some other proxy service to mask your IP and make it look like its coming from inside the US.

jmorgan17

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 10:10:10 PM »
        I downloaded the english version of firefox and originally set up google in english.  So you think google is the problem here?  Does my isp have anything to do with this? 

Ok, lets say I decide to use the onion router which doesn't bother me using a proxy server to avoid this problem.  Just one question are their inherent problems associated with using a proxy server that I need to understand?  ie, down times or isp problems?  (I'm sure people in China understand the proxy server.)  And if I switch is it easily reversed.  I am not technically gifted.

Or, if I erased all my cookies and reset my preferences every day?  Actually I think I may have already tried that. 

I think your right U knew who things seem to be get reset by the ip address. 

So proxy server time.  geez I hope this is easier than just learning the *censored* language!  Any body have some easy proxy server suggestions?

Ha Anyway, thankyou both Geek9pm and UknewWho really appreciate the suggestions.