Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network problem  (Read 2103 times)

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
Network problem
« on: May 22, 2010, 12:18:05 AM »
Hi, I have a mixed network of several XP home and 1 win7 computer. One of my computers cannot be seen on the network, or cannot see other machines. The probleme xp computer is connected by cable to a router where it can access the internet perfectly. I recently took a wireless lan card out of the machine, and installed the driver for the onboard lan. The network group name is as per rest of the network. What I have noticed if i go to a command prompt and type ipconfig the result flashes on the screen too quickly to read then dissappears. Can anybody help with this noncomformist xp machine?

Many thanks

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Network problem
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 08:33:04 AM »
Are you actually opening a "Command Prompt" screen to run ipconfig or are you typing ipconfig in the Run box (Start | Run)?  The "Command Prompt" screen does not immediately close.  Running commands from the Run box can cause command prompt screen to open and close so quickly that the user can not see what happened.

"Command Prompt" screen is accessed via Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt.

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Network problem
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 05:41:28 PM »
Hi, and thanks for the response. What I was doing was going to the run command, the type cmd, then ipconfig, which should be the same as your suggestion??? I have rebooted and the command ipconfig is readable, and the network is running as per normal.

Thanks again