Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading to different motherboard questions.  (Read 16199 times)

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: Upgrading to different motherboard questions.
    « Reply #45 on: April 29, 2010, 07:59:29 AM »
    I found what corrected this issue was by turning off the computer, removing the sound card and installing in a different socket. What a stubborn clean install this was. Ran into all kinds of issues for whatever reason. So far so good. All this was on the the parts machine that I put back together.

Thanks for all the help people.

G
    "Get away son you bother me"...W.C. Fields

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #46 on: April 29, 2010, 10:07:11 AM »
    I found what corrected this issue was by turning off the computer, removing the sound card and installing in a different socket. What a stubborn clean install this was. Ran into all kinds of issues for whatever reason. So far so good. All this was on the the parts machine that I put back together.
    Now that you're a computer technogeek, cards get installed into slots, not sockets.  The slots consist of edge-card connectors which can be ISA, EISA, AGP, PCI, PCI-Express (1x & 16x).  RAM slots are edge card connectors, too.  There are also card connectors with pins, but you'll never see them on a PC.

CPU's get installed into sockets (ZIF sockets, i.e. Zero Insertion Force) except for the Slot 1 CPU mentioned earlier.  These cpu's are mounted to a card, along with the fan within the plastic housing shown.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2010, 10:23:33 AM »
      Now that you're a computer technogeek, cards get installed into slots, not sockets.  The slots consist of edge-card connectors which can be ISA, EISA, AGP, PCI, PCI-Express (1x & 16x).  RAM slots are edge card connectors, too.  There are also card connectors with pins, but you'll never see them on a PC.

CPU's get installed into sockets (ZIF sockets, i.e. Zero Insertion Force) except for the Slot 1 CPU mentioned earlier.  These cpu's are mounted to a card, along with the fan within the plastic housing shown.

Sorry...I meant slut, I mean slot, LOL (just my humor). I'm learning. Did alot of reading this past week and I think I fried a few brain cells., but it's all good. Thanks loads for all your help so far. You will get a notch in your gun (THANKED) area from me on this.

Now onto another issue. But I will start a new thread.

Gary
      "Get away son you bother me"...W.C. Fields