Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mainboard Issue - Gigabyte 7n400 Pro  (Read 8114 times)

Raptor

Mainboard Issue - Gigabyte 7n400 Pro
« on: June 14, 2004, 05:58:26 PM »
My mainboard (According to programs such as Sisoft Sandra) seems only able to read three out of four memory banks.
I only use two out of four memory banks, it does not pose a significant problem. However, I am curious as to what could be causing this.

The confronted the salespoint with this issue and they, one of the salesmen, told me it would most likely work even though it cannot be detected properly.

He advised me to contact Tech-support, and so I did.
An E-mail is underway.

Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know what could have gone wrong?

It is a Gigabyte 7n400 Pro mainboard.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 05:42:19 AM by Raptor »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Mainboard Issue - Gigabyte 7n400 Pro
    « Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 07:16:36 PM »
    Raptor.....how did you determine that slots 3 and 4 dont work ....have you installed ram in them?

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 05:44:41 AM »
    I made an error. It is three out of four memory banks, not two out of four.

According to many programs such as Sisoft Sandra (That can read your BIOS settings and hardware) my Mainboard only has three banks.

I donot know if all four work, I only tried 3 out of 4 memory banks. (I was not properly instructed on the Dual channel ability)

But I am curious as to what could have caused this. Why do these programs say that I have 3 memory banks while I have 4?

If I were to test my fourth bank, could I damage my memory stick?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 12:18:42 PM »
    Thank you for supporting Gigabyte products.
    The Chipset recognize 6 memory sides.
    Also the maximum you can run is 3x512MB Double sided.

If you use more memory modules the system doesn't recognize all of th memory modules.

That was not quite the answer I was looking for.

Could someone explain to me what this employee of Gigabyte was trying to tell me?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 01:01:51 PM »
      Raptor.....Why dont you take the side panel off your pc and see how many memory slots your motherboard has?
      I wouldnt take the fact that some utility software says you have X number of slots as the gospel.......they have been known to be wrong. According to the Gigabyte manual.........http://america.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_7nnxpv_e.pdf
      you should have 4 DIMM sockets.......each supports a max of 512 DDR  sticks.......What type and size sticks do you have installed ?

let us know

dl65  ???

MalikTous

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 01:24:11 PM »
      The board is designed to support up to 6 sides. If you use double sided RAM sticks you can recognise up to 3 of them for 1.5 GB of RAM.

If you use a pair of double sided 512s and a pair of single sided 256s, you will again have 1.5 GB of RAM, using 4 sticks vice 3.

That was the gist of the quoted reply.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 03:25:01 PM »
      Raptor.....Why dont you take the side panel off your pc and see how many memory slots your motherboard has?

I have 4 memory banks. I think I understand why all the utilities display only 3 memory banks.

Thank you for clarifying the information provided by Gigabyte, MalikTous

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 07:04:51 AM »
      I take it that DDR is double sided memory and SD single sided memory.

I now have Dual Channel enabled (Two nearly identical, except for the brand, 512mb DDR Ram sticks).

If I were to add two SD or one DDR Ram stick, would I lose dual channel ability?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 07:05:51 AM by Raptor »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 01:00:47 PM »
        Raptor.....here's some info on RAM......

SDRAM or Synchronous Random Access Memory is the result of DRAM evolution. This type of memory synchronizes the input and output signals with the system board. Its speed ratings are in MHz. SDRAM was introduced in 1996 and is still used today. SDRAM transmits every clock count at a specific time.

DDR RAM (or Double Data Rate Random Access Memory) does the same but it does so twice every clock count. This makes DDR RAM twice as fast as SDRAM. Over the years, RAM has become very fast and efficient -- and it will be exciting to see what's coming next.

It is important that you install the correct type and speed ......
        I dont think SD ram will fit in that motherboard ( they are 168 pin , I think)

hope this helps

dl65  ???