Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Running VLC Media Player  (Read 9002 times)

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Running VLC Media Player
    « on: April 28, 2010, 04:43:19 PM »
    Thanks everyone for the help. Without this site I wouldn't get very far.

I just installed a DVD/CD player along with the VLC Media Player software on one of my computers and had some questions.

I read what I could find but I didn't see any info on this. I just want to play a DVD, not rip or anything else. I may be doing this wrong I don't know for sure until some one tells me I am.

To play a DVD I insert the DVD and the **what do I want to do** window opens. I click on **Play DVD movie using VideoLAN VLC media player** and click OK. Nothing happens there. So I open the VLC player from the desktop icon, click on play, click the disc tab, browse to the drive the disc is in and click on it, click OK, and then click on play at the bottom of the window. There is some brief activity with the DVD ROM and then a flash of something across the screen and then nothing.

Is there a certain way this software needs to be configured? I know I must be doing something incorrectly, because only once did it play a DVD and I couldn't find the volumn indicator to turn it up so I backed out to research and could not find anything about volumn level.

Thanks for the help. 
    "Get away son you bother me"...W.C. Fields

truenorth

Guru

Re: Running VLC Media Player
      « Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 07:41:46 AM »
      Have you gone into "my computer" and selected the icon for that particular optical drive? Then click on the option to either play,open,explore to see what happens. Please report back with the result of that attempt.truenorth

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 02:17:38 PM »
        Have you gone into "my computer" and selected the icon for that particular optical drive? Then click on the option to either play,open,explore to see what happens. Please report back with the result of that attempt.truenorth

I haven't but I'll check it out and post back.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 04:14:03 PM »
        You may also want to try uninstalling VLC and doing a fresh DLoad...
        It may have been a corrupted DLoad.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 04:30:37 PM »
          69Z28, I have just realized in my post i made an assumption which i should not have. I should have stated that when you DO my suggestion you must have a readable DVD in the drive.truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 04:38:12 PM »
          Just to test - try downloading and installing GOM player (http://www.gomlab.com/eng/GMP_download.html). Does that work?

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:29:42 PM »
            You may also want to try uninstalling VLC and doing a fresh DLoad...
            It may have been a corrupted DLoad.

I will give that a try.

69Z28, I have just realized in my post i made an assumption which i should not have. I should have stated that when you DO my suggestion you must have a readable DVD in the drive.truenorth

Actually I tried an original DVD and a copy of the same DVD and the player just flashes accross the screen and disappears.

Just to test - try downloading and installing GOM player (http://www.gomlab.com/eng/GMP_download.html). Does that work?

I will give that a try as well.

G

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 02:11:44 PM »
              You have not yet indicated if you have actually done as i suggested in posts 1&4 and what the results were.truenorth

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 06:04:26 PM »
                You have not yet indicated if you have actually done as i suggested in posts 1&4 and what the results were.truenorth

I apologize for the delay. Grandkids here this weekend and the computers take a back seat hands down. I'll look into it in the A.M. and post results then.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 08:32:59 AM »
                  Being one myself it seems you DEFINITELY have your priorities in good order. truenorth

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 09:06:38 AM »
                    Being one myself it seems you DEFINITELY have your priorities in good order. truenorth

Yes sir, ya gotta love 'em. I'm working on my issue right now and I'll post what I find soon. Thanks for being patient.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 10:56:16 AM »
                      OK...here is where I am.

Removed first VLC program, downloaded one from a different site and reloaded to my desktop. If I click on the VLC Media Player desktop icon a window opens with Play Movie, Newsletter, OtherDVD's and Weblinks. If I click on play movie the windows media player opens and another window opens indicating **Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.** I have not done any configurating with this program at this point and this could be my proble, but I will do what the members here say to see if I can resolve this problem.

I downloaded and installed the GOM Player. When I click on the desktop icon the player open. With the disc in I click on play and immediately an open file window opens. I navigate to the DVD ROM and click on the movie at that point another window opens and there are 2 files *JACKET_P and VIDEO_TS* Not exactly sure what to do next from here.

If I install the Cyberlink PowerDVD7 30 day trial version I have none of these issues.

I have Cyberlink PowerDVD7 as part of the package on my DELL computer, but unfortunately I cannot download it from the disc. A window opens indicating that **This software can only be installed on a Dell, unbranded system. Bummer.

Any ideas at this point?

Allan

• Mastermind
                      • Experience: Guru
                      « Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 11:01:05 AM »
                      Double-click on Video_TS to play the video.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 11:04:04 AM »

Truenorth,

I did as you instructed and Windows Media Player opens and says what I stated in post #11. I must be missing something in configuring or elsewhere.

I tried doing this some years ago with VLC and got the same issue. I just gave up, but not this time boy.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 11:16:11 AM »
                          Double-click on Video_TS to play the video.

When I double click on Video_TS then another window opens with a lot of other files. The top 2 are Video_TS. I clicked on the first and a window opens indicating I need to download codecs, so I did and nothing. It still indicates I need codecs. When I click on the second Video_TS file a window opens indicating I need to download codecs. When I tried to download, the webpage it sent me to says it couldn't find any codes indicated. Should I start clicking on the other files?
                          « Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:46:48 AM by 69Z28 »