Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Running VLC Media Player  (Read 9003 times)

truenorth

Guru

Re: Running VLC Media Player
    « Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 11:17:28 AM »
    OK, I do see some progress here.Contained within your post #11 is your reference
    "I downloaded and installed the GOM Player. When I click on the desktop icon the player open. With the disc in I click on play and immediately an open file window opens. I navigate to the DVD ROM and click on the movie at that point another window opens and there are 2 files *JACKET_P and VIDEO_TS* Not exactly sure what to do next from here."
     The progress is that the DVD optical drive is displaying the "content" of the drive. Which does mean that the optical reader of the drive is functioning. If after doing as Allan suggests "Double-click on Video_TS to play the video." There is no player coming forth to play the video then your problem is more than likely 1. Not using a proper player. or 2. Trying to play the video on a computer with inadequate resources to play videos.
      Which brings me to an observation from the "hardware CH forum wherein you have created the following post; " System requirements to play a DVD question      69Z28"
       Is it possible that the current "software" issue we are dealing with is related to a DVD optical drive in one of the computers that was deemed to be marginally able to deal with D VD's? truenorth

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »
      OK, I do see some progress here.Contained within your post #11 is your reference
      "I downloaded and installed the GOM Player. When I click on the desktop icon the player open. With the disc in I click on play and immediately an open file window opens. I navigate to the DVD ROM and click on the movie at that point another window opens and there are 2 files *JACKET_P and VIDEO_TS* Not exactly sure what to do next from here."
       The progress is that the DVD optical drive is displaying the "content" of the drive. Which does mean that the optical reader of the drive is functioning. If after doing as Allan suggests "Double-click on Video_TS to play the video." There is no player coming forth to play the video then your problem is more than likely 1. Not using a proper player. or 2. Trying to play the video on a computer with inadequate resources to play videos.
        Which brings me to an observation from the "hardware CH forum wherein you have created the following post; " System requirements to play a DVD question      69Z28"
         Is it possible that the current "software" issue we are dealing with is related to a DVD optical drive in one of the computers that was deemed to be marginally able to deal with D VD's? truenorth

No I don't believe so. There was a another file I downloaded with VLC, *ffdshow* which I just installed. Now I can play the DVD thru Windows when I click on the VLC player and I can play the DVD's using the GOM player, however, you are correct in saying the computer is inadequate. The video play is fine but the sound is out of sync with the video, as in you can see the mouths move but the sound is behind it.

Anyway...I am canning the whole idea of playing DVD's on this computer. I thought I would give it a try for the sake of the kids getting away from their mom to get some peace...LOL. Thanks.

Now on to the other computer. I believe there should not be any issues with that computer. It is a 1000MHZ machine the other was only 300MHZ.

Thanks for the help and I'll keep ya posted.

"Get away son you bother me"...W.C. Fields

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 01:04:13 PM »
      No, I mean double-click on it from the OPEN window in GOM

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 02:23:57 PM »
        No, I mean double-click on it from the OPEN window in GOM

Sorry I decided to g-file the whole idea. The computer I was working on is not adequate enough to play a DVD. Actually it will play with all the players, WMP, VLC and GOM but boy is it choppy. The mouths move but the sound is bit behind...not in sync.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 04:25:27 PM »
        I played DVDs fine with a 350Mhz PC... what are the specs on this machine you are trying to use?
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 04:58:34 PM »
          I played DVDs fine with a 350Mhz PC... what are the specs on this machine you are trying to use?

Pentium II 300mhz 412MB RAM. The DVD's will play but the sound isn't in sync with the video. The voices are behind when the people are speaking.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 05:00:50 PM »
          yeah that's a tad slow for DVD. my 350Mhz machine was only able to do so with a older version of the DVD player software for it's video card.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.