Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need help with installing ubuntu.  (Read 16215 times)

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: I need help with installing ubuntu.
    « Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 03:47:35 PM »
    No raid card. No raid on mother board. Very cheap Intel board. lucky it has USB. Only space for two sticks of memory. Good board to play with, no frills.

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 07:44:59 PM »
    But were the hard drives ever used in RAID?

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 02:36:04 AM »
      It could have been. I don't know. I had a raid card in a computer and this could have been one of the drives that was in it.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010, 12:08:23 AM »
        I went today to pick up a new HD and couldn't believe what they wanted for a 160 GB HD. I ordered a new one over the net. With shipping it was still $10.00 cheaper than picking it up at a local store. So in about a week I will try a new drive and see if that works. I was thinking about taking the drive that worked out of the old Dell and puttting it in the computer that I want to have Linux. I don't know if that would work or not. I think I will just wait for the new one. Thank you much for your help.

MIckey57

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2010, 02:09:21 PM »
        ....Sorry that I am late to the party. If you still run into this problem get the "Alternate install CD"

....I would bet that is will work for you.
        http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/10.04/

shinegami

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 08:19:35 PM »
          Actually I've been installing Ubuntu quite a few times already. It is quite easy to do. I totally agree with your answer. When I used alternate disc it is hassle free. However there is one point when I install Ubuntu. You have to to check whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit system. My only problem exist when I tried to install Kubuntu because I need to modify the BIOS settings.

Garthhh

Rookie

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 01:32:45 PM »
            I went today to pick up a new HD and couldn't believe what they wanted for a 160 GB HD. I ordered a new one over the net. With shipping it was still $10.00 cheaper than picking it up at a local store. So in about a week I will try a new drive and see if that works. I was thinking about taking the drive that worked out of the old Dell and puttting it in the computer that I want to have Linux. I don't know if that would work or not. I think I will just wait for the new one. Thank you much for your help.
            I got a 160g pata from amazon for $45 about a month ago
            I had swapped the old 80g between computers including a dell without having to do new installs

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 06:51:41 PM »
              The new HD came in today. Every thing worked as it should. I am using it now. Linux Mint 8.0. I really like it. This is going to stay. I will be using this for some time. I will put Xp on the old HD and give it to one of the kids. Thank you all for your help. This is great. Now I have to find out if this will run an older version of CAD. If it will I am set.

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
                • Yes
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 07:01:11 PM »
              Every thing worked as it should. I am using it now. Linux Mint 8.0. I really like it.
              Just curious, Why would you install Mint 8 when Mint 9 has out for about a week?

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2010, 01:05:47 AM »
                It was the disk that I had. I didn't have to down load any thing. I like it and will up grade when I have to. For now it is fine.