Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need help  to speed up computer  (Read 3000 times)

amy day

need help  to speed up computer
« on: July 14, 2005, 06:57:47 AM »
I have been wanting to upgrade my computer,but I am a little confused on what REALLY makes the computer run quicker. Is it memory or the cpu, amount of hd space?
I have a Dell optiplex GX260.It has a 2.2 cpu 40gb hard drive I still have to get memory...it takes 184 pin DDR. Which upgrade would really make it run fast?
Thank you!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: need help  to speed up computer
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 09:10:32 AM »
Generally RAM makes the computer run faster... The processor also plays a big role in that... Also making sure that your computer is virus/spyware free will take you far...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 09:32:31 AM »
adding more RAM will not make your computer faster. It may look like it does, because multi-tasking becomes easier as your computer is able to work with more programs at the same time. Also, loading will go faster as your computer can store more data in the RAM, which is faster than having to store it on the HDD.

The CPU would most likely play the largest role in computer speed. 2.2GHz is fast enough for modern applications. In gameplay, speed is largely determined by your videocard.

The amount of Hard Disk Drive space you have is in no major way relevant, it is the way you handle the HDD space. Keep it defragmented and spyware free. There are different types of HDD's, but the most common in modern PC's are 7200RPM/8MB cache HDD's. Size ranging from somewhere between and over 20GB and 200GB.

What do you intent on using the computer for?

How RAM Works

How Microprocessors work

How Hard Disk Drives Work

What is Virtual Memory?

How Virtual Memory works

Ofcourse, if you have the best raphic card but you only have a bad to mediocre processor, you will not notice any great improvements and your system will become a serious bottleneck for your GPU. Then you would have to look into upgrading all the other parts until finally, your mainboard becomes outdated and you would have to replace that. Then you notice that the mainboard is capable of more than your RAM/CPU can deliver and you look into upgrading that again.. Never ending cycle.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 09:35:15 AM by Raptor »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 11:48:14 AM »
Well Raptor, while I agree with your facts... I have to disagree when you say that it will not speed up the computer... I want from 128 MB RAM to 896 MB of RAM... DRAMATIC change!

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 12:41:26 PM »
I want from 128 MB RAM to 896 MB of RAM... DRAMATIC change!  

I installed 512MB DDR SDRAM PC3200 (PC2700) extra and the computer seemed to have increased in speed. However, that was only due to it being able to load more data directly into the memory and thus, loading times were shorter. It did not increase the speed the CPU could calculate at.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 12:41:53 PM by Raptor »

amy day

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 03:31:55 PM »
The main things I use the computer for are Photoshop , music ,slideshows. I will be using it for editing home movies to put on disc. I assumed it would use a lot of my hard drive and memory. I just want to make sure I get enough to handle it. I don't use it for any gaming. I  want to have enough but I don't want to go overboard with it.
Also I have another 40 GB hard drive should I install that as slave or just buy onthat is bigger? I'm not  sure how 2 hdd work, as one or seperate?
Thank you!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 03:34:50 PM »
I think you'll make it!  ;D  Also, you can add your other hard disk as well. No problems there! That is a common configuration actually... Go ahead! Also, you are right... Photoshop and home movies will take up a fair amount of space if you use them often... However, I think you will be fine  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 04:04:14 PM »
The main things I use the computer for are Photoshop , music ,slideshows. I will be using it for editing home movies to put on disc. I assumed it would use a lot of my hard drive and memory.

You assumed correctly;

Photo editing requires a great amount of memory. A minimal of 512MB RAM is recommended. 1024MB RAM is no longer a luxury.

I have never done any type of video editing, but I am certain that this requires even more processing power than photo editing I can not tell for certain wheter the videocard plays a large role in video editing. A videocard with a large amount of video memory (256MB RAM is the maximal amount of video memory so far available) but with specifications that are far below gamer cards may be an excellent choice if the videocard does indeed play a big role.. You should inquire a much more experienced person for information on this matter.

Also I have another 40 GB hard drive should I install that as slave or just buy onthat is bigger? I'm not  sure how 2 hdd work, as one or seperate?

The amount of storage space depends heavily on what you wish to store. Raw format photos (before and after editing) take up quite a bit of Hard Disk Drive space. 80GB of storage space should be enough for most users.

You can easily mount the second Hard Disk Drive, assuming there is still room in your system case and you have got less than 4 IDE devices connected.

Take electro-static discharge into account when working inside the system case.

Do not buy additional hardware until the hardware you are currently using does not live up to your demands.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 04:05:26 PM by Raptor »

amy day

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 05:04:57 PM »
Thank you so much for your help! I think I will get 1GB memory and add the second hdd. I will also check into the videocard memory to see if it does matter.
Thanks again!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 05:11:28 PM »
Come on back and see us if you have any more questions!  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]