Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't access XP machine shared docs  (Read 21833 times)

pcdoc4christ

Re: Can't access XP machine shared docs
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2005, 09:04:28 PM »
RedEyes:

Yep!  Turn 'em *ALL* off, and double check you haven't forgotten any.  If the problem persists, then you've ruled out firewalls as the cause.  If the problem goes away, then all you have to do is figure out which firewall is to blame.  My guess is it's the one you most recently installed.

BTW, i've read it's never a good idea to run more than one firewall (just like it's not a good idea to run more than one antivirus program) on one computer.  The reason is, the argument goes, the programs step on each other's toes and prevent one another from doing what they were designed to do.  Something to ponder, anyway.

Let us know how the firewall experiment, and other troubleshooting, goes.

Doc

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2005, 09:34:53 PM »
Yes I concurr entirely, i don't have and wouldn't want under any cercumstances more than one (software) firewall installed on ANY machine at the same time (yikes that would be a nightmare!) What I meant is I have used all those firewalls in the past. Lol srry if i didn't make that clear.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2005, 09:37:54 PM »
I thought you sounded smarter than that!  Sorry for misunderstanding.  :)

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2005, 10:03:17 PM »
Hey no prob, I've never done anything like that before *nose grows a few inches*  ;D

merlin_2

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2005, 05:01:53 AM »
I would say check all the net  settings???

Computer_Commando

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2005, 09:59:31 AM »
... is for the 98.2 machine:

DHCP enabled:...................:yes
IP Adress............................: 0.0.0.0
Subnet mask......................: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway................:
DHCP Server......................: 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS server..........:
Secondary WINS server.....:
lease obtained...................:
lease expired.....................:

1 Ethernet adaptor :

Description.....................: U.S. Robotics 10/100 PCI NIC TX
Physical adress..............: 00-C0-49-55-75-67
DHCP Enabled................: Yes
IP adress.......................: 192.168.#.*** (It gives the last few digits but I dont want my IP floating around the net :) )
Subnet mask........................: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway...................: 192.168.#.*--- (if you need this info PM me and I'll get it to ya)
DHCP Server.........................: 192.168.#.*---(same as above)
Primary WINS server............:
Secondary WINS server.......:
Lease Obtained...................: 07 15 05 6:35 07 AM
Lease Expires......................:

The problem is your 98.2 machine.  For some reason, the router is giving it a local IP (192.168.1.X), but the public IP is not being "passed through".  That's why it says 0.0.0.0 under the DHCP enabled.  Your Public IP is the same for all computers and is shown to you (and you only) in my signature.  Until it shows the 169.254.**.*** as in the 98.4 machine and all the others, it's not connected to the internet.  BTW, 169.254.**.***  is unique to you, it's your WAN IP address (or Public IP address), issued by your ISP.  

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2005, 01:57:02 PM »
No, I don't think it's that. I think those top values are for my PPP thingy. I could'nt scroll up and see how the first set was labled. If i type winipconfig in the run box i get the same stuff for the PPP adaptor (its lited in the drop down menu).
See how the bottom set of numbers are labled for "ethernet adaptor". Arn't those my IP adress stuff for the network?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 02:03:33 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

merlin_2

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2005, 02:08:57 PM »
Which of the pc has different nic cards in<shot in the dark>and are you using adsl/cable/b/band connection......

Computer_Commando

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2005, 02:20:50 PM »
...Arn't those my IP adress stuff for the network?

No, that's the LAN side not the WAN side.

Go to browser and enter (or click)the following:
http://192.168.1.1/index.htm

Find DHCP Clients table, post list here.  All 6 computer should be listed, if you have not recently recycled power on router.

BTW, what is make and model # of router and hub?  I have almost identical network as you do, 2-XP/2k on router, 1-XP on hub, 3-98 on hub, 1-95 on hub.  Don't expect fast speeds from the ones on the hub if they are all in use at the same time.  A hub is not a router or even a switch.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 02:22:53 PM by Computer_Commando »

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2005, 02:24:55 PM »
What do ya mean merlin (about the nic)? As for internet, yes I have dsl  ;D

Computer_Commando

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2005, 02:27:52 PM »
NIC = Network Interface Card
Do any of the PCs have more than 1 card (yes, this is "legal", Windows allows more than 1 NIC card).

merlin_2

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2005, 02:31:46 PM »
nic= network interface cards.......i noticed you have two different ones(...U.S. Robotics 10/100 PCI NIC TX ///Realtek 8139-series PCI NIC )
...<shot ine the dark> i reckon the ics is not enabled.......i would go back to the drawing board .....by using the networking wizard.......

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2005, 02:38:56 PM »
well that adress takes me to my ethernet modem which doesn't give a list of DHCP stuff. As for my router I am using a Black Box ummm something something something 5 port router with print server function. My hub is old SynOptics mega 16 port hub. (I know, excessive but hey it was free)

Yea, i know what A NIC is but my question was what do you mean by wich one has a differant NIC? There all differant. There is not a single machine that has a NIC the same as the other. And no Computer commando, I dont have more than one NIC installed on any machine.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 03:10:43 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2005, 02:50:48 PM »
well that adress takes me to my ethernet modem ...

Are you saying this (below) is not the router, but the DSL modem?  BTW, your modem is either ADSL (DSL) or cable.  No such thing as an ethernet modem.  You are using the ethernet port of the DSL modem.  Most modems also have USB port.
http://192.168.1.1/index.htm

If that is the case, then that's the problem, you have a conflict between the router and the modem, on the LAN side.  Both have the same LAN IP address, so the 1st computer on the hub is not getting a WAN address.  The router is not really "routing".  Why the 2nd one does, is a function of the hardware in the hub and I have no explanation.

Change the LAN IP address of the router to:
http://192.168.1.2/index.htm

Then power everything off, then power up in following order:  DSL modem, router, hub, computers.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 03:02:04 PM by Computer_Commando »

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2005, 03:04:07 PM »
My routers IP has always been 192.168.2.1

AHA! we may finaly be getting someplace! I went into my router via the IP and it shows only FOUR computers on the dhcp list, apperantly it cannot assigne DHCP to those on the hub! So, what doI do? Do I assign static IP's to those on the hub and let the other machines continue using DHCP or do I go for static on all?

Oh and by the way computer commando, the first machine on the hub has never had a problem getting on the WAN (internet) in fact all machines on the hub AND the ones directally plugged into the router can get on the WAN. Thats not the problem. Only shared documents on the XPH is inaccessable. And the XPH can access the 98s shared docs, it just doesnt work FROM the two 98s having problems TO the XPH.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 03:38:44 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »