Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Manually Remove Windows 98 via Command Prompt  (Read 5172 times)

Resident Evil

Topic Starter

Starter

Manually Remove Windows 98 via Command Prompt
    « on: May 08, 2010, 03:48:33 PM »
    As my post reveal, my problems have gotten progressively worse. At this point I'm just trying to remove Windows 98 and (hopefully) the virus I have. The computer won't boot in safe mode or normally.On start up it is always looking for a driver called CMMON.vxd. Previously the computer was looking for four others, but I managed to fix them.

Thus I am limited to using only command prompt. I found the method using SMARTdrv and uninstall.exe, but upon running SMARTdrv, I get an error saying the computer needs HIMEM.sys, check config.sys. So I checked config.sys and its empty  :o I tried adding "device=c:\windows\himem.sys" which is the only line now in my config.sys. Even after rebooting, SMARTdrv still will not run.

How can I remove Windows 98 now? What do I do?

Thank you!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Manually Remove Windows 98 via Command Prompt
    « Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 03:52:53 PM »
    If you want to completely erase everything and start from scratch, boot to the Win 98 cd and start the installation process. When you are asked if you want to format first, say yes and format the drive.