Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive Install from scratch  (Read 5321 times)

linda_652003

Hard drive Install from scratch
« on: June 14, 2004, 07:58:03 PM »
Hello everyone,
                      I am frustrated beyond belief. Can someone out there please help me. I have a computer hard drive problem.... Please be patient with me.... I recently installed a new hard drive into my computer and I have heard that you have to format and fdisk the hard drive before being able to use it. Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to do this please. I cannot access the old hard drive at all as it crashed.
                     I would greatly appreciate any help in solving my dilemma.... Thankyou
Linda ;D   Also I intend to put Windows 98 on the system. I hope that this helps somewhat
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 11:08:05 PM by linda_652003 »

Joleen

Re: Hard drive Install from scratch
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 07:23:44 AM »
Change your BIOS to boot off the CD first.
Put CD in the CD Rom and reboot.
Follow the on-screen instructions.

You failed to mention anything about your computer such as the Operating System going in or any of the specs.  This info could help us help you.

linda_652003

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 12:42:46 AM »
thankyou for your help. I will check this out and let you know. I am wanting to put windows 98 on the system. I hope this can give you some more insight into the problem. I will look for the type of hard drive that has been put into the computer but i am sure it was a 80 gb. I will let you know more when I work on the computer next. ;D

linda_652003

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 10:32:23 PM »
thanks for all the help guys...... computer is now up and running except for one small problem. I ended up having to format computer hard drive and reinstall windows 98 SE. All went well except for the display. It will only show up in 16bit colour not 256 colour. I am not very knowledgable about computers at the best of times and would greatly appreciate the help I need to set this right. And if possible could you put it in step by step info. THANKS HEAPS :P

Joleen

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 06:02:03 AM »
Find out the manufacturer of the video card and go to their website.  Download the drivers for Win98 and install.  You may have the drivers on a CD as well if you have kept all the documents and disks.