Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copy Windows XP to RAM  (Read 6545 times)

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Copy Windows XP to RAM
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 11:51:45 PM »
I already have windows on the SSD. When I say hard drive, I am referring to the SSD.

Why would I want to copy windows from the SSD to ram? Because ram is still much faster than a SSD.

So how do you think that this will help you realize performance on a desktop computer?
Evil is an exact science.

Linux711

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 11:59:15 PM »
I thought there might have been some kind of communication issue there.

Yes, I should have been more clear. I am just used to calling it a hard drive.

So how do you think that this will help you realize performance on a desktop computer?

Make it faster. I am not sure I understand.

EDIT: I am signing off. Don't expect to hear more from me until tomorrow.
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 12:03:08 AM »
There are two problems with using flash drive, besides the cost.
1.the flash RAM is not really as fast as good quality static or dynamic RAM.
2.tTe flash drive RAM has a limited number of read/write cycles and then it will go into failure.

In certain applications engineers will use a version of Windows XP called embedded XP. The XP is actually in a ROM which is loaded into RAM upon boot time. There are options available as for how much of it to want to be in RAM at any one time. However, such applications are where they really don't want to bother with having the mechanical problems on the hard drive. Most often a dedicated application that is not going to need a wide selection of utility programs.
However, if you like to experiment with hardware there is another option. You can build a static RAM array powered by rechargeable battery and set the thing up in hardware as if it was an IDE disk drive. To the system it would appear to be a disc drive with its own controller. You install XP on two that static RAM and then when you turn the power off the rechargeable battery would keep windows XP alive, but in a sleep state. It would appear to be install of the standard XP onto a standard hard drive. You could make one of those yourself or have it made to order or buy it from somebody. But the cost is so prohibitive that you might like to just buy a new computer instead.
Still, it would be a great experiment.  ;D
4M22 DISK EMULATOR
The 4M22 is a Flash or battery backed RAM disk that use 6 JEDEC 32 pin chips giving a capacity of up to 6M bytes with flash or 3M bytes with static RAM. The 4M22 has 2 independent banks, 1 bank of 2 chips and another of 4 chips. This allows mixing of memory types. For example flash memory could be used for program storage, while batttery backed RAM could be used for log files where constant writes would wear out the flash memory. The on card BIOS makes the disk memory appear as a standard disk to the operating system. On card voltage sensing and write protection circuits make the battery backed RAM extremely reliable.

Maybe just buy 100 of these.

Linux711

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 09:33:20 AM »
However, if you like to experiment with hardware there is another option. You can build a static RAM array powered by rechargeable battery and set the thing up in hardware as if it was an IDE disk drive. To the system it would appear to be a disc drive with its own controller.

Are there any tutorials on this? What components would I need?

EDIT: other than the 4M22 DISK EMULATOR.

Anyway. Thanks for the post!
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe