Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing from one Pentium II to another.  (Read 9461 times)

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: Changing from one Pentium II to another.
    « Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 02:10:04 PM »
    The "this" I am referring to is in regards to my original post. I think I can safely say that either no one has made "THIS" switch from one P2 to a higher MHZ P2 OR it has been done and the person that has done it hasn't published it anywhere. At least not on the net.

Is there something wrong? I haven't stepped on your toes or anything like that have I? Personally I am just looking to see if anyone has done the switch. If not, then I'll have to keep searching until I find someone that has. I'm sure I am not the only person who has thought about doing "THIS".
    "Get away son you bother me"...W.C. Fields

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 03:07:48 PM »
    The "this" I am referring to is in regards to my original post. I think I can safely say that either no one has made "THIS" switch from one P2 to a higher MHZ P2 OR it has been done and the person that has done it hasn't published it anywhere. At least not on the net.

Is there something wrong? I haven't stepped on your toes or anything like that have I? Personally I am just looking to see if anyone has done the switch. If not, then I'll have to keep searching until I find someone that has. I'm sure I am not the only person who has thought about doing "THIS".

Lot's of people have switched from one processor to a newer one- a Pentium 2 of one speed to one of a faster speed is no exception. It's simply not noteworthy and there is no reason to publish it (also, since the P2 is rather old if anybody did it would have been before that forum existed probably). What type of information did you hope to get from anything that was "published"? Everything you need to know will be in the manual- pretty much all you need to know is what processors/speeds the motherboard supports.

EDIT: I thought of something-

I'm sure you've thought that the CPU is essentially the "engine" of the computer- and that's true.

But replacing a CPU is hardly as noteworthy as swapping out an engine block, and there is a lot less effort involved, too. (which works out great, since nerds aren't well known for their endurance.)
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 04:05:43 PM »
    ...Is there something wrong? I haven't stepped on your toes or anything like that have I? Personally I am just looking to see if anyone has done the switch....
    You question had me very confused.  I thought the question had been answered several times.

BCP pretty much explained it.  But, changing a cpu is more like is more like swapping a carburetor than an engine, if that helps.

Look at the 1st page of the manual I showed you before:
    http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/1/p3bf-104.pdf
    It supports: Pentium III/II/Celeron.  This was not unusual then and is not unusual now.  Many new motherboards support various processors.  All newer ones are configured through the BIOS.  Mine is configured either by jumpers on the motherboard or through the BIOS.  This is why you need the manual.  To see IF it can be done and HOW to do it.
    « Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 04:17:21 PM by Computer_Commando »

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 04:37:08 PM »
      I would like to know how to find manuals. I googled Tyan S1682 motherboard manual for one I have here and found their website and if I could read traditional chinese I would be ok, but, I can't. So that isn't going to help.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 04:45:46 PM »
      I'm not sure if i'm right but this link says that that motherboard supports 300mHz maximum:  http://www.tyan.com/archive/support/html/cpu_pentium_ii_iii_celeron.html (Near bottom - Look for S1682)

It says:

Tahoe 2 ATX  |  S1682  |  233-300  (2.8V CPU core only)  - NO Celeron / A or Deschutes

I think that the 233-300 means 233mHz to 300mHz

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 04:53:09 PM »
      I would like to know how to find manuals. I googled Tyan S1682 motherboard manual for one I have here and found their website and if I could read traditional chinese I would be ok, but, I can't. So that isn't going to help.
      Oh Oh.  440FX chipset, not 440BX chipset, however, according to this, it's a dual-Pentium motherboard.  Does it have 2 slot-1's?  Finding a 2nd Slot 1-P2-300 should be easy.  I know someone with a room full of PII slot 1's.
      http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/review-slot-boards-440fx-chipset,24-4.html

BTW, 2 PII-300's will outperform 1 PII-450.  A dual processor motherboard before the advent of dual core processors.

FSB would be 66MHz, not 100MHz, but PC-100 RAM will function properly.

This must be the manual:
      ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/m_s1682_120.pdf

BTW, 2nd Page of Googling this:  Tyan S1682 Tahoe 2 ATX
      As soon as I recognized the ftp link, I knew I had it!  You have to try different Google phrases.
      « Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:19:07 PM by Computer_Commando »

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 05:16:15 PM »
        I quess I have no idea what the heck I'm doing. I did find that article (Tyan S1682) on Toms Hardware earlier when I googled it, but didn't look any further.

The Tyan S1682 seems to work well for a back computer. I don't have any issues with it. I just used it for an example to see if I could find a manual. Still haven't. This one was the parts computer I put everything back into I spoke of on another post. It was running NT and I put XP Home on it.

I have to look at the other one I fixed up for my grandkids, but it is at my daughters now. I'll get the motherboard info when I go there tomorrow. The kids are already screaming it's not fast enough to play some of the cd games they have?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 05:23:38 PM »
        I quess I have no idea what the heck I'm doing. I did find that article (Tyan S1682) on Toms Hardware earlier when I googled it, but didn't look any further.

The Tyan S1682 seems to work well for a back computer. I don't have any issues with it. I just used it for an example to see if I could find a manual. Still haven't. This one was the parts computer I put everything back into I spoke of on another post. It was running NT and I put XP Home on it.
        You gotta start somewhere.
        I found it, look above.  I've been using Google for 10 years, before most ever heard of them.  I won't admit how long I've worked on and with computers.  Longer than my '88 Mustang GT.

The Tyan has some possibilities being a dual processor mobo.  WinNT4.0 supports dual cpu's.  XP-Home does not, XP-Pro does.

NOTE:  there is one issue with the Tyan
        The CMOS RTC includes an internal battery and real time clock circuit which provides the date and the time, and the CMOS Chipset Default Register for the system. Normally, the life span of a RTC internal battery is more than 10 years. This RTC chip cannot be field upgraded and can only be changed at a Tyan repairing facility.

Those RTC's are no longer available, but there is a "hack".
        http://purpleavenger.blogspot.com/2006/09/hacking-dallas-ds1287-rtc-chip.html
        « Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:42:47 PM by Computer_Commando »

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 05:42:42 PM »
          Mustang GT. Those are all over the place here. I bring my 69Z out and they all hide. Its not exactly stock. I bought an 1984 Anniversary Convertible for my wife, she's the Ford lover in the house, but got ride of it. Couldn't get out of its own way. Looking for a 69 Mach I 4 speed. Oh...that's right, this is a computer forum, sorry.

I never realized how much is involved with this computer stuff. It's really not that easy to figure this stuff out. I downloaded the manual anyway. Thanks.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »
          Mustang GT. Those are all over the place here. I bring my 69Z out and they all hide. Its not exactly stock. I bought an 1984 Anniversary Convertible for my wife, she's the Ford lover in the house, but got ride of it. Couldn't get out of its own way. Looking for a 69 Mach I 4 speed. Oh...that's right, this is a computer forum, sorry.
          I never realized how much is involved with this computer stuff. It's really not that easy to figure this stuff out. I downloaded the manual anyway. Thanks.
          Mine was stock in '92.  Can you say 13psi ProCharger?  New cars are computers, take a look at a Prius.  Start button is exactly like a computer start button.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 07:06:34 PM »
            Mine was stock in '92.  Can you say 13psi ProCharger?  New cars are computers, take a look at a Prius.  Start button is exactly like a computer start button.

Still ain't nothing like old muscle, though.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 12:10:41 AM »
            Well let me ask this then...going from a P2 300mhz to a P2 450mhz isn't as cut and dry as if I just just changed the jets in a Holley carb to fix idle mixture issues or stumbles at lauch correct.

Computers are NOT mechanical devices.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 08:52:35 AM »
              Computers are NOT mechanical devices.

Your telling me???

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 09:22:33 AM »
                I'm not sure if i'm right but this link says that that motherboard supports 300mHz maximum:  http://www.tyan.com/archive/support/html/cpu_pentium_ii_iii_celeron.html (Near bottom - Look for S1682)

It says:

Tahoe 2 ATX  |  S1682  |  233-300  (2.8V CPU core only)  - NO Celeron / A or Deschutes

I think that the 233-300 means 233mHz to 300mHz

Yes, it appears 300MHZ is max. I read the manual last night. Can't do much changing with this board except add more RAM.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 10:18:35 AM »
                  Here is the manual for the computer I have been talking about changing the P2 in. If I am reading correctly, and I am sure someone here will tell me different, I can make the change to the 450MHZ P2. I'll have to read over the manual again to comprehend it all, but that is my take on compatibility.   

http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/94/61bxam.pdf