Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: transfering 8mm tapes onto computer  (Read 3816 times)

amy day

transfering 8mm tapes onto computer
« on: July 15, 2005, 09:04:52 AM »
Someone my husband knows gave us a Sony CCD-TRV21 video camera. It uses the small 8 mm tapes...I have no clue what I need  to transfer the video to my computer.  The only thing it has with it is the battery charger and this square thing attatched to the charger...I don't know what this square thing is for.  The videocamera works great but I don't know what to do with the footage. All you can do is view it on the lcd monitor. I have been using my digital camera for videos for the past 6 months but I would rather use the film. I would love to transfer this onto the computer to edit and put on cd but I can't seem to find an answer to exactly what hardware and names of cords that I will need. I am guessing I will need some type of card to install on the computer and a cord to plug in...but I have done searches on the internet and have came up with no answers. I also have vhs tapes I would like to do the same thing with. We have already lost footage of my oldest son's first birthday party.  I would really appreciate any help.
Thank you ,
Amy Day

Raptor

Re: transfering 8mm tapes onto computer
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 09:18:43 AM »
Does the manual not mention what the connector is for?

To connect most modern videocameras and photo cameras to your computer, you use either an USB or a firewire connection.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 10:23:11 AM »
you need a data link cable???<or belkin videobus>windows has its   program called movie maker of which you can use?......you could transfer some of the clips or footage to a cdrw disk but of course space it limited<and if you have a cdrom burner>.....best option is a dvd burner and dvd/rw disks.. or transfer the 8mm to a vhs recorder?via the jack plugs you have used to watch the on the lcd....

The square box you mention is a knockdown transformer.and part of the ...<charger>
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 10:25:41 AM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 11:54:38 AM »
What is a Belkin data bus, Merlin?

amy day

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 11:57:33 AM »
He didn't have the manual anymore and he didn't have any cables. All we have is the camera and charger and the knockdown transformer. I have a cd burner and I was going to make vcds with the movies. I would like to get a dvd burner in the near future. I will keep searching  to see what cords originally came with it.
Thank you

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 12:06:38 PM »
Video bus >>http://shopping.zdnet.co.uk/shopping/video-cards/tv-tuner-cards/0,20000297,20182915p,00.htm

cam corders......hi_fi_ vhs etc.......and it comes with videwave software...

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 12:09:01 PM »
I have never seen that before. Is it camera-specific?

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 12:16:06 PM »
no......and it does dvd recorders as well.....