Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to use search function of IE  (Read 3868 times)

Remy

Unable to use search function of IE
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:30:59 AM »
I am unable to use the search function on my secondary computer(the one I use for searching).  When I click on the search/magnifying glass, the search pane opens, but is hogged by Google and there is no search option, only a button to upgrade to IE8.   The "customize" function does open the pane with different search service/search providers, and selections other than google can be highlighted, but they do not "take"-still just the google upgrade to IE 8.  There is nothing google in the add/remove programs to remove.  How can I get google to release control of my search function?  I am using windows XP Pro, IE 6 and Norton.

Thank you for your time

overthehill

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Unable to use search function of IE
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:41:14 PM »
Welcome to CH. Hope you enjoy your time here.
Now, are you able to download IE8? And, if so, why not upgrade? This would be a good start.It's a very good idea to keep all of your programs up to date.

hopemy

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 12:56:11 AM »
    Hi, have you updated your IE? What overthehill said is quite right. Just update it and see whether everything goes well.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 05:44:06 AM »
    Hi, have you updated your IE? What overthehill said is quite right. Just update it and see whether everything goes well.
    Parrot time.

Metal Messiah

Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 01:38:34 PM »
      First I'd get rid of norton and use avg.  I posted a poll on here to see if Norton was any good and nobody voted for it at all.  All the votes went against it.

In regards to the search can you look in "tools>internet options>advanced" then scroll until you find the little magnifying glass and see what it says there?

Rgds,
      MM
      The time is near
      The day has dawned
      Be prepared
      For what's to come.... Metal Messiah

From a Judas Priest song, guest where took my name from

overthehill

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 03:19:38 PM »
      First I'd get rid of norton and use avg.  I posted a poll on here to see if Norton was any good and nobody voted for it at all.  All the votes went against it.

In regards to the search can you look in "tools>internet options>advanced" then scroll until you find the little magnifying glass and see what it says there?

Rgds,
      MM
      First I'd get rid of IE6  :||x

Metal Messiah

Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 01:26:51 AM »
        I'd definitely upgrade from IE6, as there apparently there have been exploits to the code used for this fully patched browser version (IE6), and this was in 2010.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/191192/what_you_need_to_know_about_the_ie_zeroday.html

This is from PC world so, not sure how reliable this info is.  Feel free anyone to comment on that.  However, maybe that should be another in another thread lol.

Remey - As I was saying in my last post though if you could check that and post here what option is ticked, but my reply would be try clicking on the other option.  Shut down the browser and restart it and see what happens.

Also, I mean to say welcome to CH :)

Rgds,

MM
        The time is near
        The day has dawned
        Be prepared
        For what's to come.... Metal Messiah

From a Judas Priest song, guest where took my name from