Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Burning problem  (Read 3412 times)

Ron McEvoy

Burning problem
« on: May 16, 2010, 06:53:59 AM »
I have been trying to burn some files onto a disk and up to now with no success.  Have attempted to burn using TDK CD-RW CD-ReWrightable 700MB 80 min.  No response what so ever from PC when Memorex DVD+RW Data 4.7GB Video 120 min 1X-4X used.

Formatting instructions and results: - Burn files onto disk ~ Prepare this blank disk ~ the format might take a long time.  You should not shut down the computer until the format is complete.  Do you want to continue with this format?  Yes ~ Formatting (473 MB) on DVD RW Drive (E :) (E :\) About minutes & seconds remaining ~ Windows was unable to complete the format.

At this point my PC stubbornly ignores the disc that it failed to format.

Having again inserted CD-RW 700MB 80 min disk and depressed the burn button the disk is ejected and a box appears with instructions.  These are Insert a disk ~ Please insert a writeable disc into drive E:

I now have three of these disks that my PC fails to respond too.  I have tried to glean something from the instructions supplied with the operating system but have been unable to understand the idiosyncratic terminology used.

Hard and Software employed: - DELL Inspiron 531 with Windows Vista Home Premium and Office Home and Student 2007 Microsoft Program has been installed.

Can anyone remove this weight from my shoulders?

Ron

Salmon Trout

Re: Burning problem
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:48:32 AM »
CD-ReWrightable

Is that what it says on the box?

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 10:03:56 AM »
Formatting instructions and results: - Burn files onto disk ~ Prepare this blank disk ~ the format might take a long time.  You should not shut down the computer until the format is complete.  Do you want to continue with this format?  Yes ~ Formatting (473 MB) on DVD RW Drive (E :) (E :\) About minutes & seconds remaining ~ Windows was unable to complete the format.
What file structure are you trying to format it with?
Evil is an exact science.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 11:16:52 PM »
Is that what it says on the box?

I bet it also says "made in Kittyhawk, North Carolina"

What file structure are you trying to format it with?
UDF. that is the only way you can "Format" a optical disk such as a CD-RW or DVD-RW, AFAIK.

personally, I'd stay as far away from UDF as possible. just burn the files to disk using a tool such as CDBurnerXP or Imgburn, and forget about "formatting" the disk.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 11:19:37 AM »
I bet it also says "made in Kittyhawk, North Carolina"

UDF. that is the only way you can "Format" a optical disk such as a CD-RW or DVD-RW, AFAIK.

personally, I'd stay as far away from UDF as possible. just burn the files to disk using a tool such as CDBurnerXP or Imgburn, and forget about "formatting" the disk.

Just got a PM from the OP

Hello there

Yes that is an exact reproduction of what it says on the box.

Thanks

Ron

In which case, they sound like fakes. Possibly Chinese. (Because of the misspelling of "rewriteable", in case anybody is wondering...) Where did you get them? Never mind -  try some genuine dsks.