Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my screen is appearing really wide after being connected to projector  (Read 5874 times)

mellyg

I have just had my computer connected to a projector, but now it is unplugged and the screen is appearing really wide.

This has happened before but not sure how it was fixed, but I think some number setting had to be changed.

I have gone into the personalize section in the control panel, and that doesn't appear to be the problem.

Thanks for helping

johngetter

Hopeful

• The Computer Master (Number 2)
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
My college professor uses projectors for his teachings. just set your resolution to a standard 1280-1024 if you can. then it should mess up Ur projector or comp.

Call of Duty Player
Operation 7 Player
Halo Reach Player
Acer User

I am glad to help you today...Have a Nice Day, From your Friendl

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
then it should mess up Ur projector or comp.
Did leave a frequently used 3-letter word there?  The word is not.

My college professor uses projectors for his teachings. just set your resolution to a standard 1280-1024 if you can.
but, maybe 1280 x 1024 is not standard - by standard, I mean optimum - on his computer.  So, I think that's not good advice.

johngetter

Hopeful

haha ya i forgot to add the not.

and thats my professors computer. if the laptop has the 1280-1024 option, it will be a square screen instead of a widescreen. which makes your projector just the right size.

Call of Duty Player
Operation 7 Player
Halo Reach Player
Acer User

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
and thats my professors computer. if the laptop has the 1280-1024 option, it will be a square screen instead of a widescreen. which makes your projector just the right size.

How the heck can you assume these things about a machine/projector you have never seen other than your Professors ? ?

Think before hitting the Post button from here out.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

johngetter

Hopeful

be quiet your post is useless anyways. so who talkin. Im saying a reasonable resolution is 1280-1024

Call of Duty Player
Operation 7 Player
Halo Reach Player
Acer User

talontromper

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
be quiet your post is useless anyways. so who talking. I'm saying a reasonable resolution is 1280-1024

Yes that is a reasonable screen setting.... but what your not telling this guy is that is standard for a 4:3 monitor, not a laptop aspect ratio of 16:9.  Also telling patio to "be quiet and that his post is useless" is just plain ignorant on your part. Patio has a broader knowledge base and a deeper working knowledge of computers than you.

What should be told to this person is to set the resolution to default for his machine... how you do that since you said you didn't know how is to right click on the display and select either properties or screen resolution. then select the screen resolution you want and click apply
"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

johngetter

Hopeful

Yes that is a reasonable screen setting.... but what your not telling this guy is that is standard for a 4:3 monitor, not a laptop aspect ratio of 16:9.  Also telling patio to "be quiet and that his post is useless" is just plain ignorant on your part. Patio has a broader knowledge base and a deeper working knowledge of computers than you.

What should be told to this person is to set the resolution to default for his machine... how you do that since you said you didn't know how is to right click on the display and select either properties or screen resolution. then select the screen resolution you want and click apply

Well whats goin on is patio is always on my case. always im normally someone who is calm but this guy sometimes ticks me off and sometimes he makes me happy :)

for a 16:9 Laptop screen all it does is make it into a 4:3. sound like hes using a projector that doesnt support widescreen

Call of Duty Player
Operation 7 Player
Halo Reach Player
Acer User

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
Yes that is a reasonable screen setting.... but what your not telling this guy is that is standard for a 4:3 monitor not a laptop aspect ratio of 16:9

for a 16:9 Laptop screen all it does is make it into a 4:3.

You both fail math. 1280x1024 isn't 4:3, it's 5:4. 16:9 isn't a "laptop aspect ratio" it's a widescreen ratio. some laptops have widescreen ratios, some don't, and desktop LCDs can be had at 16:10 and 16:9 ratios as well.

Also it's not really that "reasonable"... a "reasonable" setting would be the proper resolution for the LCD- if the monitor is in fact an LCD. for a CRT, 800x600 is the safest bet. Whatever the case, it's easy to fix by fiddling around with the resolution settings.

I wouldn't consider 1280x1024 a "reasonable" resolution to use for me either, since none of my computers would be able to use it. my main desktop is 1440x900, and my laptop is 1080x800 (both widescreen, but neither one "becomes 4:3" just by changing the resolution, especially when the resolution in the x or y direction exceeds the capabilities of the screen.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

johngetter

Hopeful

You both fail math. 1280x1024 isn't 4:3, it's 5:4. 16:9 isn't a "laptop aspect ratio" it's a widescreen ratio. some laptops have widescreen ratios, some don't, and desktop LCDs can be had at 16:10 and 16:9 ratios as well.

Also it's not really that "reasonable"... a "reasonable" setting would be the proper resolution for the LCD- if the monitor is in fact an LCD. for a CRT, 800x600 is the safest bet. Whatever the case, it's easy to fix by fiddling around with the resolution settings.

I wouldn't consider 1280x1024 a "reasonable" resolution to use for me either, since none of my computers would be able to use it. my main desktop is 1440x900, and my laptop is 1080x800 (both widescreen, but neither one "becomes 4:3" just by changing the resolution, especially when the resolution in the x or y direction exceeds the capabilities of the screen.

Were talking about projectors here. And my PC screen is considered a 4:3 AND 1280-1024 Was the recommended.
Do you have a source?
Im trying to find a link to the manual...

Call of Duty Player
Operation 7 Player
Halo Reach Player
Acer User

johngetter

Hopeful

Sorry Post was not set Right  ::)

Call of Duty Player
Operation 7 Player
Halo Reach Player
Acer User

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
Were talking about projectors here. And my PC screen is considered a 4:3 AND 1280-1024 Was the recommended.
Do you have a source?

Yes. I do. It's called Mathematics.

1280/1024 reduces to 5/4.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

johngetter

Hopeful

Yes. I do. It's called Mathematics.

1280/1024 reduces to 5/4.

Then HP must be dumb  :P

Call of Duty Player
Operation 7 Player
Halo Reach Player