Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive problem??  (Read 3995 times)

Acer7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

hard drive problem??
    « on: May 18, 2010, 09:25:45 PM »
    couple weeks after i upgraded from windows vista to windows 7 my hard drive been saying its full when i have like nothing. it makes my internet use show up all weird and says not enough memory.. when i try to clean up the hard drive which theres nothing to clean up besides temporary internet files and thumnails. after doing that im able to use net to the fullest for about 1-2 days sometimes less and then i have to repeat the process. i dont know wats making the hard drive full. any help??

Sid

Apprentice
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: hard drive problem??
      « Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 03:55:47 AM »
      How big is the hard drive (in GB's)?

Also, did you upgrade or install over the top of Vista?  Is there a Folder called Windows.old in the C:\ drive?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:16:38 AM »
      You can download a program such as treesize (http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml) to see where the files are, but my guess is System Restore is eating a good deal of the space.

Acer7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 06:06:46 PM »
        How big is the hard drive (in GB's)?

Also, did you upgrade or install over the top of Vista?  Is there a Folder called Windows.old in the C:\ drive?

It was a free windows 7 upgrade when i bought the computer. so i installed it over windows vista. and yes theres a Windows. old in the C: drive. Also it has a 320 gig hard drive but is split into 2 which gives me 141 gigs in the C: and the D: drives     dont know there the other 40 went. mabe hidden.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:30:49 PM »
        Define both partitions and describe what directories you have in more detail...
        We can't see your drives/partitions from here...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Acer7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 07:20:04 PM »
          Define both partitions and describe what directories you have in more detail...
          We can't see your drives/partitions from here...

all thats in C: drive is  Acer, Acersw, book, OEM, perflogs, program files, users, and windows. 

All in D: drive is Windows old.

D: drive was basically empty nothing in it and had full storage usage until i just did a file transfer of windows old in C: drive into D: drive which took out like 30 gigs from D: drive and now i have the extra space in C: drive. Dont know if file transfering into D: drive will make everything better. Still hard to believe that those files in C: drive takes that much space.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 07:33:05 PM »
          Windows .old files are backups of how your system was before installing 7...
          If you are comfortable that you have eberything you need and the system is running fine you can safely delete them...no matter where they reside.

However if you are less than confident you have all you beed then burn them to CD/ DVD to be safe...

Acer7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 05:06:24 PM »
            after i filed transfered old windows i had 30.5 gigs free out of 141 gigs but today its down to 26.5 i havent downloaded anything so wat is filling up my hard drive?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 05:22:42 PM »
            any help??
            So here is what some users do when they don't understand fully the problem, but they understand the risk. You go out and buy a new hard drive, something within your budget, maybe even a cheaper smaller drive. But something that works for sure.

Next  install your operating system of choice on the new drive, without the old drive being present in the system. After you get everything up and running, you reboot with the old drive as a slave and transfer some of your most important documents, photos and videos and downloads to the new drive.

Then when you are satisfied that your new drive is working right, and apparently there is not any intrinsic problem with the software and the rest of your hardware, you make a decision. The decision is to just continue with the new installation, or put the old drive back in and play around and see if you can figure out what happened. If you fail, you have all your stuff on the new drive and a new install of your favorite operating system.

Perhaps that may seem very obvious, yet so many users believe that there is an easy quick fix to their problems without having a backup.

Sid

Apprentice
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 02:02:36 AM »
              after i filed transfered old windows i had 30.5 gigs free out of 141 gigs but today its down to 26.5 i havent downloaded anything so wat is filling up my hard drive?

4GB in a day, is system restore on?

Acer7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 09:42:15 AM »
                4GB in a day, is system restore on?

Pretty sure its on because since i bought it i havent done anything to it. And as of adding a new hard drive my computer is so small that it cant even fit another hard drive. and today its down to 23.6 gigs done nothing but surf the net . no idea how its filling up and i dont think that system restore would do that.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 10:39:53 AM »
                You may be infected...
                Visit our Virus and Spyware section and follow the guide for posting your logs...