Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: best .MP3 Bit Rates for burning CD on to computer  (Read 7494 times)

MD507

Topic Starter

Beginner

best .MP3 Bit Rates for burning CD on to computer
    « on: May 22, 2010, 12:28:55 PM »
    What is the best MP3 Bit Rates for burning CD music onto my hard drive. 192, 256, or 320 - I like music like Journey, Motley Crue, Dio, Ozzy. I want to play it on my portable MP3 CD Player.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: best .MP3 Bit Rates for burning CD on to computer
    « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 05:29:01 PM »
    It depends on what quality satisfies you.
    I use 128 and it's fine with me. The higher rate, the more space file takes.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 06:10:38 PM »
    By 'burn', did you mean onto a CD?
    Many audio CD players do not do MP3.
    Some do. For compatibility, CD players with MP3 may expect the Sample rate to be 44.1kbps.
    Which program are you using to make MP3s?

MD507

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »
      I would rip the songs from the original Cd's to hard drive using .mp3 extension and than using data CD format burn them to blank CD-R to get alot more songs on the CD-R them with audio CD format. So what i'm asking is what is the best .mp3 bit rate to use to rip the original Cd's to hard drive 192, 256 or 320 i'm using Windows Media Player to rip the music to my hard drive - I have Windows 7 Home Premium

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 11:20:15 AM »
      there is no "best".

it's a trade off. Either good quality, takes up more space, or worse quality,but takes up less space.

regardless of what you choose it will still take up less space then the uncompressed audio data would.

Some do. For compatibility, CD players with MP3 may expect the Sample rate to be 44.1kbps.

CD audio is 705.6kbps. No CD audio disc will differ.

MP3 CD players don't care what the sample rate of an MP3 is.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 07:07:06 PM »
      there is no "best".
      it's a trade off. Either good quality, takes up more space, or worse quality,but takes up less space.
      MP3 CD players don't care what the sample rate of an MP3 is.

Yes they do. Some entertainment devices that play audio and MP3 CD's require 44.1KHz  sample rate for both normal and MP3. Art the present time there is no MP3  standard that manufactures respect. Do you have a portable CD player that allows different sample rates?

If he is always going to play the CDs on his computer, it does not matter. If he wants to make a MP3 CD for a family member to play on a CD/MP3 boom box, it does matter.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 11:29:33 AM »
      Yes they do. Some entertainment devices that play audio and MP3 CD's require 44.1KHz  sample rate for both normal and MP3.

Funny. you said

44.1kbps != 44.1kHz. The sampling rate of a Audio CD is not 44.1kbps, it's 44.1Khz, as you correct. But this translates to 44.1Khz*16 bits per sample, or  705600bps or 705.6kbps.

it doesn't matter, because a MP3 can be played at whatever desired sample rate (Khz). a MP3 that was originally an encoded 22Khz could be played on a CD player, because MP3 has no concept of sampling rate in Khz- it is purely a Bitrate, the bits are converted as desired by the playback device to whatever sampling rate is required. This is why I can configure winamp to play my 320kbps MP3's at 44.1Khz, 96Khz, 28Khz, or anything along those lines. the actual decompression from a stream of bits to a Audio stream is independent from the Sampling rate required for the output stream. Of course, CD MP3 decoders are generally more limited then those available for a computer. in general, the electronics on a CD player can play (and I base this off of the manual for a MP3 CD player that is 6 years old, doubtless the range and ability has improved in that time, and it was hardly a top of the line model, either.) 32khz,44.1khz or 48khz khz and encoded between 32Kbps and 224Kbps. Although my 320kbps MP3's played fine, so perhaps the described range is a conservative estimate.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 11:54:02 AM »
        I am not doing the MP3 format burning much any more except for archival stuff. Primarily this is because as some have stated that some standalone players won't play them. So i do all mine in .wav now. cdr  discs are so cheap cost is really not a factor.
          However when i used to do a lot of burning some time back my personal preferred format was "mp3pro" which was at less than half of the "normal" CD audio of 128. I was using it when it 1st came out as it was stated to be if anything slightly better in quality than normal Mp3. Have not checked recently but back then the software to record in that medium was free at the company web site. You could sure pack a lot of audio on a disc. I believe i was able to put something like 20  12inch both sides vinyl lps  on one cdr disc. My impression was that there was no detectable difference from 128 Mp3. However then you really had to search for a player that would play that format. They may be more prevalent now. For your guidance and info.truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 01:14:27 PM »
        How can I explain this to you in plain simple words?
        Use a sample rate of 44.1Khz when burning MP3 to a CD.

Yes, I meant 44.1Khz.

The term 'bps' is often used for data rate.
        It means bits per second. Sorry for my slip.

The proffered data rate is 192 K bps for the MP3 to CD recording.

Some DVD players only read MP3 CD's recorded with 44.1Khz sample rate.

Today's Homework: Bauds and Bits do not always mean the same thing - Or do they?
        Extra credit if you do a report on Claude Shannon

MD507

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 01:23:16 PM »
          from Geek-9PM answer, so it would be better to use 192Kbps instead of 256Kbps to rip in MP3 format music CD's to hard drive I have a Portable MP3 CD player - i ripped in both 192 and 256 and i hear not much of a change.