Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BSOD--reinstalled windows, and replaced RAM.  (Read 4056 times)

hobogunner

Topic Starter

Rookie

BSOD--reinstalled windows, and replaced RAM.
    « on: May 16, 2010, 11:35:06 PM »
    My computer started BSODing, so I figured RAM, so I got some more and switched it out, but it continued, so I reinstalled windows (my install CD is XP with no SP's, so I update it up to SP3), then when I go to do something after all of that, it BSOD's (like installing wireless router driver, ATI driver, etc.) I'm thinking my motherboard may be messed up, but I want to know if there is a sure way to find out before I waste the money. My computer is fairly new, I built it a year and a half or so ago. Because I can reinstall Windows and that happen while I put a load on the computer, I can only assume it's hardware related, mobo is a Jetway HA06, I use G.Skill RAM, and an AMD quad @ 2.6 GHz (no overclocking). I have overclocked it in the past, but I never went above 3.6, and I only did it for short durations to test it out, so I have my doubts it is the CPU. Which leaves the mobo as the last thing to check out. Unless there is a BSOD failure from a HDD, I haven't looked into it that much, but any help would be appreciated.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: BSOD--reinstalled windows, and replaced RAM.
    « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 04:50:58 AM »
    Post the entire BSOD messages including the gibberish.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hobogunner

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 07:55:56 PM »
      Booted my computer in Safe Mode and looked at the event viewer, I can only assume that the one with "Save Dump" as the application/source would have to be it, since the error message in the file read:

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x100000d1 (0x0042351a, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xb33cccd9). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini051710-01.dmp."

The computer closes out to fast for me to read the actual error message on the screen when it flashes, and I don't know if there is a way to fix it so that it lets me read all of it. That's what I got from the event viewer as the error message. Any help is appreciated.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »
      Boot to safe mode...
      Go to Control Panel/System/Advanced/ and uncheck "auto restart on errors...re-boot.
      You will now get BSOD's without a restart.
      Post the ensuing messages...

hobogunner

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »
        That was the most I've written all year by hand, computers are far too convenient:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0042351A, 0x0000002, 0x00000000, 0xB4537CD9)

That's what it said, but the main screwed up thing is that it almost has to be hardware, since I had just updated to SP3, when I decided to start installing non-standard windows things, so I start installing my Wireless PCI adapter driver, and at around 75% it went boom. So, the driver wouldn't have been completely installed correctly. and since that was the first non-windows standard thing on there, it makes it almost 100% hardware related.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 09:06:59 PM »
        so I start installing my Wireless PCI adapter driver, and at around 75% it went boom. So, the driver wouldn't have been completely installed correctly. and since that was the first non-windows standard thing on there, it makes it almost 100% hardware related.

Nope. sounds like the wireless driver was the cause of the problem.

EDIT: the reason I say this is because most driver installations also Start the driver later in the install- 75% sounds about right for it to do this- and the moment the installer started the driver, poof- BSOD.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 09:10:25 PM »
        it makes it almost 100% hardware related.
        This would be probably an incorrect diagnosis...

The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

You either have a bad stick of RAM out of the new bunch or it may be incorrectly matched...
        DLoad and run MemTest...do 1 stik at a time...

Actually RAM is hardware so disregard my 1st reply...

hobogunner

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 09:23:19 PM »
          Will check the RAM, I'll also reinstall windows and see if I can get the same results by installing a different driver to see if I might need a new wireless adapter card. Will look into RAM first, since it sounds more probable (I used my comp with the same Wireless adpater driver, and it didn't BSOD before.) I haven't used memtest in such a long time, if there are any bad addresses is it bad, just running a normal test?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 04:21:25 AM »
          Yes,
          With MemTest any errors at all = bad RAM.
          A new NIC card is about 15 Bucks...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 04:33:26 AM »
          wait a second here...

then when I go to do something after all of that, it BSOD's (like installing wireless router driver, ATI driver, etc.)

Install your motherboards chipset driver First, before any other driver.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

hobogunner

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 09:59:22 AM »
            Sorry it's been so long that I've updated, haven't had a chance to work on my computer. Did this morning, my RAM is good, but it BSODed when I booted up, which was a different BSOD code, blamed RT2500.sys, so I remove my NIC, and it rebooted fine. So, my NIC is to blame, I think I might just use Belkin after this experience. I'll tell if a new NIC fixes it.

hobogunner

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 11:21:13 PM »
              Got a Belkin Wireless N USB Adapter (Figured if it didn't fix it, I could use it somewhere else.) And my computer has been up and running 26 hours with no problems. I've been up with it editing minor things I have an OCD about with a clean install. So, my computer is completely fix from what I can tell. (Haven't run 'regedit' yet, usually edit random things.) Thanks for all the help.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 06:44:24 AM »
              Good News indeed...stop by anytime...