Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disk Utility locked MSN Scan Disk  (Read 20256 times)

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Disk Utility locked MSN Scan Disk
    « Reply #15 on: July 20, 2005, 03:50:04 AM »

Hi Merlin_2 and again many thanks.
    Much progress at last but first you should know I found "Display notification about every script error" already unchecked.
    On Scan Disk at message locked, Ctrl-Alt-Del listed 12 items, none of which had "not responding":
    Scan Disk (C)
    Quick Launch
    Msnmsgr
    TaskBaricon
    ZIclient
    Imapp
    Wandadoo_Booster
    Rundll
    Dkservice
    Vptray
    Pwrtray
    Systray.
    So did End Task all but the last two without problem except Quick Launch brought up "Chosen close toolbar window.  To add toolbar rt click existing toolbar, point to toolbars click item".  No idea what that' all about. Disregarded;  no toolbar changes occurred.
    OK, WHEN REOPENED SCAN DISK Thorough, IT RAN ROUTINELY AND SCANNED ALL 1,471,000 CLUSTERS IN ABOUT TWO HOURS. NO LOCKING; NO ERRORS.
    DELIGHTED TO HAVE IT FUNCTION TO COMPLETION UNINTERRUPTEDLY . Any comments? Would very much like to know which Utility caused the problem and how else to get rid of it. And why it appeared in the first place as never did before.
    Cordially,  RO
    PS: The lone "error" c:\\windows\win 386.SMP: should I delete it when it is shown at Disk Check?
    RO

Raptor

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005, 04:57:33 AM »
    Wandadoo_Booster

What is this? Have you scanned for spyware before your problem occured?

merlin_2

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2005, 12:39:22 PM »
    I see rod that you also with the crazy frog isp??<f/s>i would advise that you should get a firewall like sysgate....are you networking this pc....what are you using.....?56k/

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #18 on: July 20, 2005, 02:28:08 PM »
      What is all that junk running for!  :o
      You could get a performance improvement by fixing it.
      My computer starts with 0 applications running.  ;)

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

Hi and hope not Re: Win386.SWP not part of Win98SE
        « Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 03:04:39 PM »
        Hi and hope your patience is not exhausted.

1. You mention c:\windows\win386.SWP as not belonging on W98SE.  This file plus  c:\windowsinternetlogs\fwpktlog.txt
        are the only errors  (described as Permission Denied)after scan by EMSA DISK SCAN.

2. Selecting HELP produces box: File not included.
        Further there is an understandable notation: Support is not available for free downloads.

So I need to know how to get rid of them (and in future, any others that come up). Whether inside or outside the progtam, how do I do it?

3. FYI, MSN ScanDisk Thorough goes to "Complete" long before scanning the total 1.4 million clusters. Why so? I was letting it run to see if again "Disk utility locked..."appears. If it had, as earlier reported, emptying Ctrl/Alt/Del except for Sys & Pwr trays+restart lets it run to conclusion.

Will appreciate your instructions/comments.

Cordially,  RO
        RO

merlin_2

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 03:12:21 PM »
        Another option is this......go to start/programs/accessories////ms-dos prompt.....now after c:\>windows.....type.........scanreg/restore........  a splash will appear......with options .....chose the last good cab file.....>like cab file started on xyz day......chose the nearest one before you had problems....windows will do the rest......

Fed

• Sage
          « Reply #21 on: July 22, 2005, 03:22:16 PM »
          Download & run 'Autoruns' from
          http://www.sysinternals.com/
          After you open it, under 'Options' set it to 'Hide Microsoft Entries' and then refresh the screen.
          The remaining programs will be non-windows programs & you should know what each & every one is.

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2005, 04:23:27 PM »
            OK, guys. Again did not get notice of any of the 3 20JUL05 postings. So:

RAPTOR: Yes, ran Spyware prior to the ScanDisk.

FED: Unsure about all the StartUp "junk". At least some are required, ISP/MSN/ZA /Booster/Norton/ plus IncrediMail for use when cannot get Online. Electric light bulb/1024x768.. color/bytes recf & sent/IntelSpeed are here without insertion by me.

MERLIN_2: I know what you mean, crazy frog isp, but not <f/s>i.

Bewitching hour of midnight having passed  I'll go through the 22JUL05 instructions tomorrow and advise. Seem like good ideas, but allow me to repeat question no one answered yet: On the Ctrl/Alt/D method of avoiding the LOCKED.. ..Utility Disk, WHICH IS THE CULPRIT inasmuch as there is NO Not Responding item.

Appreciate your help.     Cordially,  RO
            RO

merlin_2

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2005, 04:29:24 PM »
            Crazy frog= wanadoo..... :) go to the add/remove and dump this >EMSA DISK CHECK. first.....and search for the folders that still lurk in the system..!...or download system mechanic.......and clean the junk out of the reg....stick with the scandisk program> win98/xp pro/win2003 sever.....tried and tested since the days of win3.1 and still used  today just renamed......chdsk......
            « Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 04:30:45 PM by merlin_2 »

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

Solutions ScanDisk Utility locking
              « Reply #24 on: July 23, 2005, 12:43:28 AM »
              Good morning, Merlim_2:
              Have no intention of dropping regular MSN ScanDisk, simply still trying to identify utility locking plus cause/cure.

Too cheap to buy System Mechanic , but note many similat free/shareware, such as Registry Cleaner v4.1 -- but does that dup PCPitstop Optimizer already bought?
              Clean System Directory v1.7/System Cleaner v4.97? Your opinion needed.

NOTE still not mentioned action on the two Windows system "permission denied" I have asked about several times!

Now I am reluctant to remove the ESMA  ScanDisk  unless you say I must do so.  At this time it is only working disk scanner operating normally.

Re your kind Reply #20, at Accessories there is no ms-dos prompt on W98SE.

Back to you!           Cordially,  RO
              RO

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2005, 12:48:10 AM »
                Good morning, FED:
                With regard to your kind Reply #21, at the referenced sysinternals website I do not find OPTIONS anywhere. Searched various other topics but without success.

Where is it? (W98SE)    Cordially,
                RO

Fed

• Sage
                  « Reply #26 on: July 23, 2005, 12:52:37 AM »
                  Ya gotta learn to read the screen rodell.  :D
                  Read my post above carefully, specially the underlined part.

Raptor

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2005, 05:22:30 AM »
                  What is Microsoft Network (MSN) Scandisk?

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2005, 02:15:44 PM »
                    OK, FED, but ya gotta learn to be more specific!
                    Just what post (by number, please -- as I specified in my reply) are you referring to?
                    Searched both pages and only one of yours with underlining I found was Autoruns in Reply #21.
                    So presume that's the one, and as I replied, OPTIONS not found.
                    Hopefully I'll find it after you instruct me re location.
                    Believe it or not I do appreciate your hrlp.
                    Cordially,  RO
                    RO

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2005, 02:34:40 PM »
                      Hi Raptor. Re your posting #27, this is what I referred to

Start to Programs to Accessories to System Tools to Scan Disk  (ThenSelect Thorough for C Drive.)

Just did it, 3 hrs which faster than usual, all the way to 1,471,000 clusters without interruption,  no errors.   BUT that was because, as previously said, I emptied everything via Ctrl/Alt/Del -- except the two system files).

1. Still do not know which Disk Utility is the culprit.
                      2. Whether there's an easier way to resume normal operation as heretofore.
                      3. Why the two "errors" which show from EMSA ScanDisk program don't show in the MSN Scan program
                      4. Whether and how I should remove those two "errors" which are windows system files, as noted.

Back to you!        Cordially,  RO  
                      RO