Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: recover disk not working  (Read 3138 times)

dstrattenfan

Topic Starter

Starter

recover disk not working
    « on: June 01, 2010, 07:52:06 AM »
    I have an emachines computer (T1840) with Windows XP on it I do not have anything on the hard drive I want to keep...when I power the computer up it is a black screen with nothing

I power it w. my recover disks a black screen and two options, the first of which was "Restore Windows XP" which I clicked enter. Then another window came up with this in the banner "Symantec Ghost 7.0.0.260 Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved".

Within this window was another window with the banner "Error" and finally inside this were the text "Single user version cannot do multiple loads" with an okay button. At the bottom of the page was R:\T1840.GHO I pressed enter and got a new error message "Cannot open GHOSTERR.TXT". Again I pressed enter and this got Application error 11000 "Invalid dump file. If problem persists, please contact Symantec support center or contact symantec support".

I shut it all down with the disc still in and this time tried option 2-Boot to command prompt from CD-ROM. I pressed enter and the following came up. "files being verified" then this shows up A:\> and it just sets there and does nothing..

I have been told to do a "clean install" of xp...The problem I have is that my xp was preloaded on my computer I have the serial key I just can't afford to buy a new copy of xp
    any suggestions

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: recover disk not working
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 08:00:28 AM »
    You know, I'm sure you don't want to hear this but I think every system user should own a copy of the installed OS. If I were you I'd just go out and purchase one.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 08:04:03 AM »
    It sounds like the Ghost image file of XP is corrupt...
    So at this point you have 2 options:

Order a replacement Recovery CD from the manuf....shipping charges may apply...

Borrow an XP CD for a clean install. The versions need to match...in other words if you had XPHome you need an XPHome CD ...Pro you need a Pro CD

Make sure they are Microsoft CD's also...OEM CD's will NOT work.

This is perfectly legal to do...

You may also want to go online prior to this and collect all the neccessary Drivers for that machine...chipset drivers go 1st.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 03:52:47 PM »
    Why do you keep posting your question in other people's threads? As I said in one of your other duplicates of this post, you need to start your own thread.

dstrattenfan

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »
      Why do you keep posting your question in other people's threads? As I said in one of your other duplicates of this post, you need to start your own thread.

I am assumeing ur not speaking to me right?

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
      I am assumeing ur not speaking to me right?
      No, of course not. Sorry for the confusion.

dstrattenfan

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 04:42:53 PM »
        No, of course not. Sorry for the confusion.

I didn't want to get in trouble on my first post lol ;D