Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can i use my laptop as a wireless router  (Read 2258 times)

thirstywhale

Can i use my laptop as a wireless router
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:41:50 PM »
I want to connect my Wii and ps3 to the internet, but all i have is a usb net card from verizon for internet access.  Is there a way to send wifi from my laptop as a wireless router?  can i connect a wireless router to my laptop?  Thanks for the help!!

Merlyn

Re: Can i use my laptop as a wireless router
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:22:59 PM »
Okay, you have a similar problem that i used to have.  :-\

I have not completely solved my problem, but i do have a temporary solution, you say you have a
usb net card from Verizon.
Do you have wireless on your laptop? if so, you can go into the "Network Connections" (For XP users: Start -> Control Panel -> Network and internet connections -> Network connections) Find the USB Network, Right click on it and press "Properties" at the top there should be a small tab called "Sharing" Click on that and tick the box stating "share my internet connection (or something along those lines)" Then with your computer make a wireless "AdHOC" Network. This will prompt you to enter an SSID and a Password. Once entered, you will see the laptop saying "waiting for users to connect" connect using the SSID on your Wii and PS3 and you should be able to get internet access.

Note: I have only tried this on my Computer with a Wireless PCI card. This does not work for my iPod touch either.  :(

I hope that i have helped you with your slight dilemma. if you want more information please do not hesitate to post and ask.

Merlyn

Sid

Apprentice
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Can i use my laptop as a wireless router
    « Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 05:22:11 AM »
    It is possible, but the connection is liable to be shockingly apauling when trying to game.

I would suggest reading this site:

http://www.nucleusnetworks.co.uk/3g-router/3g-router.htm

Although, like I said, your connection is liable to be apauling.