Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bat file failure  (Read 8020 times)

pyanko

Bat file failure
« on: May 11, 2010, 02:38:37 PM »
I'm executing a DOS bat file on Windows 2003 VM (virtual machine) from a Power Builder application.  On the development VM the bat file executes OK.  On the production VM, the bat file fails.  It does not appear to be a permissions problem.  But, if you go to a DOS prompt on that machine, not all DOS commands are available.  Is there something that would make the DOS environments different on the two machines?

Thanks

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Bat file failure
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 03:39:45 PM »
Is there something that would make the DOS environments different on the two machines?

Different OS?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Sid

Apprentice
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 08:47:50 AM »
    Have you tried running the BAT file inside an already opened command prompt to see where/why it fails?

What is the BAT doing?

marvinengland

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 09:12:52 AM »
      Is there something that would make the DOS environments different on the two machines?
      google the missing commands and download to the machine missing the commands.

or

copy the the commands from the good machine to a flash disk and upload to the machine missing the commands.

and/or
      run sfc /scannow
      USA

Sid

Apprentice
        « Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 09:37:08 AM »
        copy ... to a flash disk and upload to the machine missing the commands.

That could be difficult on a VM, depending on the virtual host application.

killerb255

Adviser
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 09:35:19 AM »
          copy the the commands from the good machine to a flash disk and upload to the machine missing the commands.

Copying from the guest to the host using the virtual network and a network share would be an option as well. 

That could be difficult on a VM, depending on the virtual host application.

True.  I know Hyper-V doesn't support USB.  Windows 7's VirtualPC supports it, but older versions do not.  VirtualBox supports it.  I don't know about VMWare these days.
          Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Sid

Apprentice
            « Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 10:06:09 AM »
            Copying from the guest to the host using the virtual network and a network share would be an option as well. 

True.  I know Hyper-V doesn't support USB.  Windows 7's VirtualPC supports it, but older versions do not.  VirtualBox supports it.  I don't know about VMWare these days.

I think VMWare handles USB quite well, but I don't know from first hand experience.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 12:24:54 PM »
            VMWare handles USB better then any other Virtual Machine I've used.
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 01:34:30 AM »
            it might help if we could be told what commands fail! Possibly the development VM has Resource Kit tools installed?